The cooking thread

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Carol 83 what @Japonicus is calling "Hot Dog Sauce" we have known forever as "Chili Dogs". Its just a chili made specifically for putting on a hot dog. Well, maybe more than "just" a chili. Japonicus's blend looks really tasty.
Ok, "chili dog" I understand. The "slaw dog" thing, I'd pass on.............

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Carol 83 what @Japonicus is calling "Hot Dog Sauce" we have known forever as "Chili Dogs". Its just a chili made specifically for putting on a hot dog. Well, maybe more than "just" a chili. Japonicus's blend looks really tasty.
I could go into business selling this stuff for sure.
Shoot, we often skip the dogs and just have a sauce bun it’s so good :)
There’s a trick to getting the meat browned up in such fine fashion without using power tools.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ok, "chili dog" I understand. The "slaw dog" thing, I'd pass on.............

It's a German, or Polish, or general eastern European thing to have sauerkraut and sausage. Throwing kraut on a bun with a bratwurst is pretty common. In Wisconsin, Milwaukee area, they simmer the brats in beer, and then slap them on a bun with brown mustard and a layer of sauerkraut. Caramelized onions optional. It doesn't take much of a stretch to do the same to a hot dog, especially if you can't get a good bratwurst.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I read that this morning, then going to look for something to eat, this little kraut can was peeking out at me.
View attachment 307182

Done.

Sorce
Mom did the exact same thing, especially when not having time for "complicated" cooking. just let it simmer, the longer the better.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm gonna move to Saint Louis, just so I can come over to Carol's for left overs.

@Carol 83
I'm sure we could barter some bonsai work for a place at the 1st course.
I expect leftovers would be slim pickins, negating the move.

It's Poppa Johns here tonight. We got a new floor in the kitchen today.
DSC_4663.JPG

DSC_4664.JPG
It's Amendoim (Uh-men doo-um) which is what I put nearly 6000 nails into our living floor room a few years ago.
Amendoim is also known as Brazilian Oak, but this is engineered this time around and locally installed.
They under estimated the 1/4 round by A LOT! and I am not done building the cabinets on the back side of the bar or the ends any way.
Walls will be painted a linen-beige/tan with a kiss of green/gold hue rather than the current green to offset the wood tone a good bit and brighten things up.
Lighting will be better suited as well eventually + white crown molding and white trim going into the living room.
They did a decent job it appears except for their work on the transitions and 1/4 round trim. Not a strong point by a long shot, and that's a generous pardon.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm sure we could barter some bonsai work for a place at the 1st course.
I expect leftovers would be slim pickins, negating the move.

It's Poppa Johns here tonight. We got a new floor in the kitchen today.
View attachment 310333

View attachment 310334
It's Amendoim (Uh-men doo-um) which is what I put nearly 6000 nails into our living floor room a few years ago.
Amendoim is also known as Brazilian Oak, but this is engineered this time around and locally installed.
They under estimated the 1/4 round by A LOT! and I am not done building the cabinets on the back side of the bar or the ends any way.
Walls will be painted a linen-beige/tan with a kiss of green/gold hue rather than the current green to offset the wood tone a good bit and brighten things up.
Lighting will be better suited as well eventually + white crown molding and white trim going into the living room.
They did a decent job it appears except for their work on the transitions and 1/4 round trim. Not a strong point by a long shot, and that's a generous pardon.
No worries, there's always leftovers. Love the new floor, very nice. No pizza delivery where I live, that's why I have to cook so much!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Esta interesante.

Cocinares tostadas lenguas esta dia.

Cuadro no desafortunadamente.

(Spanglish at best, I know.. but I’m workin’ on it.)

:)

Top Bottom