The cooking thread

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just finished some sushi and maki : tuna , salmon , cucumber, avocado .
I was tired of paying a fortune for a few tiny pieces of fish and rice and it 's pretty simple !

View attachment 312163

These are fun arrangements to prepare... when I was “doing my Chef life” I got to prepare similar platters quite a bit.

How are Tuna prices by you?

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
These are fun arrangements to prepare... when I was “doing my Chef life” I got to prepare similar platters quite a bit.

How are Tuna prices by you?

I buy small boxes of frozen fish which i place in my fridge a few hours before preparation , the price is around 6 euros for 250 grams , almost the same for salmon .

20200628_193308.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My grandpa and dad were both butchers and made their own sausage. We always had sauerkraut with Mett sausage and mashed potatoes.

I never had the chance to taste it but my father told me that when he was a kid he loved having a glass of the juice when back from school. My granfather was a miner, but he had a garden where he cultivated his cabbage, and a pig that he fed with whatever he could find. My dad told me they would put pieces of apples with the cabbage, and other spices, probably dill because they use it a lot in Poland.

He also told me that when they killed the pig, he was always the one to turn the blood in the bucket so it didn't coagulate, to make "kaszanka", black pudding with "kasza jęczmienna" (barley). I haven't had some for years, the Polish community, even in the mining regions in the north of France have been scattered all over France after the mines closed.

Although I try to reduce my consumption of meat, I can't imagine being a total vegetarian, and certainly not a vegan. :oops:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I buy small boxes of frozen fish which i place in my fridge a few hours before preparation , the price is around 6 euros for 250 grams , almost the same for salmon .

View attachment 312167

Interesting.. for me that’s pretty cheap for sushi (not for me, because i used to work at BearCat’s Fishhouse) around here, but fairly expensive for Salmon.

And when I say Salmon, I’m not talking Great Lakes salmon (which is DIRT cheap as we are a fishing tourism town), but the farm-raised Atlantic Salmon ...the “mild” stuff.

Interesting, indeed.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I never had the chance to taste it but my father told me that when he was a kid he loved having a glass of the juice when back from school. My granfather was a miner, but he had a garden where he cultivated his cabbage, and a pig that he fed with whatever he could find. My dad told me they would put pieces of apples with the cabbage, and other spices, probably dill because they use it a lot in Poland.

He also told me that when they killed the pig, he was always the one to turn the blood in the bucket so it didn't coagulate, to make "kaszanka", black pudding with "kasza jęczmienna" (barley). I haven't had some for years, the Polish community, even in the mining regions in the north of France have been scattered all over France after the mines closed.

Although I try to reduce my consumption of meat, I can't imagine being a total vegetarian, and certainly not a vegan. :oops:
Your "black pudding" sounds like what I knew as blood sausage, not sure it had barley in it though. I remember my mom telling the story of going to the butcher shop on blood sausage making day. She was early on in her pregnancy with my brother and when she saw the bucket of blood, she had to run outside and throw up, lol.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
We wanted to go out for a nice dinner, but eating outside when it's 90+ degrees isn't all that pleasant. So we ate at home. Still a nice dinner, but cheaper and we ate in the air conditioning! crab cakes.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Part 1 finished.

Cooked through and softened then blended. This creates a bulk batch of a base sauce which can be used to make any number of different curries.

IMG_20200718_164011627.jpgIMG_20200718_165400496.jpg

Now part 2.

The fixings.

IMG_20200718_202202490.jpg

And end result being a tandoori chicken marinade to go in the fridge overnight.
This can be used as is for an authentic tandoori chicken or as something else later on.

IMG_20200718_212514227.jpg

Not finished yet.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Starting to think the fast route would be better but am having too much fun this way.
Besides, no way are we going anywhere near Ronaville.

Ok Part 3
You need to pre cook the meat in a stew to get it tender this also creates a lovely stock you can freeze and add it instead of water to thin out your base sauce.
Same with the chicken above, you cook that first before adding to the curry of choice.

Kitchen smells delightful.

IMG_20200719_125824565.jpgIMG_20200719_142345262.jpg

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Shout out to my neighbor...hooked up some Molè, rice, and some chicken the other night. Fire.

Aaaaaiiiiii!

Fuck a wall. Brown Lives Matter!

Rosemary, Ray's, and Red wine Vinegar on Chicken.

View attachment 315425

Sorce

A Mexican co-worker invited my family to her summer house in a suburb of Mexico city. Cuernavaca.

I checked it out on Google maps.

Any guesses on how literally every single house is protected?

Huh.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A Mexican co-worker invited my family to her summer house in a suburb of Mexico city. Cuernavaca.

Huh.

A wall?
Attack chickens?

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Huh.
A wall with barbed wire

Top Bottom