The cooking thread

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
...so our imagination has to complete the ensemble
Has to turn out good with the ingredients, I'm going salad with those Super Sweets...
Heirloom, and I go Italian bread and butter, and is there ever enough bacon???
The tomatoes are Early Girl's, guess they don't realize it's August.:confused: I just like bacon and tomato on pumpernickel toast with butter. My husband puts jelly on his sandwich 🤢. And my son just eats a big plate of bacon, lol.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
The tomatoes are Early Girl's, guess they don't realize it's August.:confused: I just like bacon and tomato on pumpernickel toast with butter. My husband puts jelly on his sandwich 🤢. And my son just eats a big plate of bacon, lol.
Reddist looking Tomatoes I've ever seen and so delicious looking...the Bacon looking really good also...... BLT sandwichs with White Bread Toast, light Lettuce, heavy Mayo are my favorite...what time do you want me over ?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Reddist looking Tomatoes I've ever seen and so delicious looking...the Bacon looking really good also...... BLT sandwichs with White Bread Toast, light Lettuce, heavy Mayo are my favorite...what time do you want me over ?
You're welcome anytime, but bring your own mayo, I absolutely hate the stuff.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I want to try grilling potato slices this evening Carol.
So we're grilling ~3/4" thick burgers.
Your potatoes look to be a tad thinner than the chicken breasts.
Normally cook the burgers 10-12 minutes total (depending on grill temp) almost well done.
When should I start slices? or 1/3 thick slices of, oh these are yellow taters. They cook quicker I think,
and may get mushy compared to Russets. Guess I better leave it full skinned on one side for the final cook
or should I have her pick up a better tater for grilling on her way home?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I want to try grilling potato slices this evening Carol.
So we're grilling ~3/4" thick burgers.
Your potatoes look to be a tad thinner than the chicken breasts.
Normally cook the burgers 10-12 minutes total (depending on grill temp) almost well done.
When should I start slices? or 1/3 thick slices of, oh these are yellow taters. They cook quicker I think,
and may get mushy compared to Russets. Guess I better leave it full skinned on one side for the final cook
or should I have her pick up a better tater for grilling on her way home?
I microwave the potatoes whole first, on the potato setting, then slice them in half and score them. A little garlic butter, salt and pepper, then grill. Otherwise, the inside of the potato doesn't get done. Slices would probably work OK though, if they aren't really thick.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Slices would probably work OK though, if they aren't really thick.
Ok, I'll give it a go. Probably need to spray and use foil and get a head start on the burgers.
Keri-Gold makes a good garlic butter...and my favourite cheese, Dubliner!!!!! OMG I love their Dubliner cheese.
It's like a sharp dry white cheddar. Pungent in the best of ways. Drug Emporium and Kroger carries it here.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bone-in roast? Yes. Bone-in Ribeye? Meh...purely presentation. Any steak on the bone ain't no different tasting from one without. Unless you've got a braise going, the cooking time is too short.

Steep meat prices in New England? Betcha' bottom damn right!! Grocery day can be a horror show, especially now!! 😷 🤑🤑🤑🤑

@Carol 83 as a butcher's daughter, you would know a great butcher has far better meat than a grocery store. Even for a strip steak, nearly cut it with a fork and the taste was sensational......both times!
Family went to Virginia Beach for a week, so, had to eat both steaks before they got too funky...couple of days in the fridge brings out the beef flavor.😘

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Huh hu, here people think there are as many different cheese as days in a year. They're wrong, there are more !

Someone said (I think it was De Gaulle) "how can you govern a country that has 365 different cheese ?"...

Ten miles south, on the other side of the river Loire, some still make "Olivet" :

It's also the place where they make pear spirit, with the pear in the bottle, I had a high-school friend whose parents did that :

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Absolutely, if I ever bought meat or what they pass off as meat at Wal-mart 🤢 my dad would send down lightening to strike me dead.

That's exactly what I think !

As I said before, I love meat, but I've reduced my consumption of it : it's good for my body, it's good for our earth too.

But when I eat meat, I like it not to be chlorine-washed or hormone-fed.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I did a little research on a Porterhouse the other day....$10.50 lb on sale ...the one I tested weighed in at 16 oz.....I cut both steaks off the Bone and weighed them, the Filet weighed 5 oz, the NY strip weighed 7 oz,,,,so where did the other 4 oz go ???
My reason for Buying Porterhouse is that it's a Cheap way to get a Filet Mignon even if only 4 or 5 oz...
Just bought a couple Bone In Ribeye yesterday on sale at $9.99 lb, they weighed 1 lb ea.... I'm going to remove the Bone on one to get the actual Meat weight.
I'll leave the Bone In on the other then Fire Up my Flavor Meter to see if I can Detect a Flavor Difference between the Two....
I always cook my Steaks on my George Foreman Grill at Medium Rare, 135F.
FWIW, I use a local Butcher Shop to get all my meat...

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Last night cooking for a week, I DO NOT cook on vacation!. Boneless ribeyes. I agree with @LanceMac10 it's not worth the $ to pay for the bone. But on a pork crown roast or prime rib roast, it definitely is.ribeye.jpg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Last night cooking for a week, I DO NOT cook on vacation!. Boneless ribeyes. I agree with @LanceMac10 it's not worth the $ to pay for the bone. But on a pork crown roast or prime rib roast, it definitely is.View attachment 327265
Prime rib roast rocks.
Those rib eyes, I’m sitting here eating oats and Tulip Poplar honey and my mouth just can’t quit watering looking at them!
Looks awesome.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Don't you pay for bone free too?

Bone in 3.99/lb, bone out 4.99/lb?

Sorce
I think bone-in is actually more expensive here. But if I could get any rib-eye for $4.99 a lb I would be filling my freezer.

Top Bottom