The cooking thread

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
View attachment 244293

View attachment 244294

….serve 'em before the game is a good idea.....disappointment is best dealt with on a full stomach :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

game still four hours away, at least.....nobody will remember the score all full of wings and pork!!!! And beer!!!!:cool:

Should be some great hockey, the league has never been better....ever! Do miss a good bench-clearing Donny-brook.....if your not a regular viewer, enjoy!!!
Wednesday will be a better day. :(

D

Deleted member 21616

prosciutto approaching the 1.5 year mark (August 1st 2019!)

coppiette are made regularly - an italian style 'jerky' traditionally made from horse or pork (i do both, because i like to mix business with pleasure!). The ultimate repotting snack!

IMG_6103.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
prosciutto approaching the 1.5 year mark (August 1st 2019!)

coppiette are made regularly - an italian style 'jerky' traditionally made from horse or pork (i do both, because i like to mix business with pleasure!). The ultimate repotting snack!

View attachment 254956
My grandpa and my dad were both butcher's, so I was pretty impressed until I saw the "horse" part...:eek: We had a few cows when I was growing up and I had a couple horses. But we only ate the cows..........

D

Deleted member 21616

But we only ate the cows..........

yes, horse is taboo in much of popular culture in the west 🤷🏻‍♂️

the horse version comes from lazio, just south of florence where you can find it done with wild boar (boar prosciutto is also phenomenal, as is boar ragu of course!). Most of italy would use ordinary pigs for coppiette however

Buca in toronto makes a horse prosciutto! The leg must be 5 feet long, and very complicated to cure evenly!

in quebec, horse meat is common. most respectable butchers stock horse as they would any other meat. It is very lean, so there are limits to how it can be used effectively

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
yes, horse is taboo in much of popular culture in the west 🤷🏻‍♂️

the horse version comes from lazio, just south of florence where you can find it done with wild boar (boar prosciutto is also phenomenal, as is boar ragu of course!). Most of italy would use ordinary pigs for coppiette however

Buca in toronto makes a horse prosciutto! The leg must be 5 feet long, and very complicated to cure evenly!

in quebec, horse meat is common. most respectable butchers stock horse as they would any other meat. It is very lean, so there are limits to how it can be used effectively
I understand, I guess. But to me that would be like eating a pet dog or cat. :(😢 But the proscuitto looks good.

Reaction score
Shit pic but I made this today: a red and a yellow union chopped up, sliced baby carrots and red-skinned (deskinned and sliced) potatoes in an oven dish, with soy sauce, maple syrup, salt, pepper, dried thyme and dried basil and paprika powder. On the side panfried salmon with skin on and a bit of salt. Served with mayo cuz mayo is fire! There was a bit too much going with a tad too much salt, so next time I think I'm leaving the paprika powder out and add way less soy sauce. I was home alone so didn't have to share :)

20190816_190507.jpg

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Hey there Carol... I really enjoy your Postings & you are obviously an Accomplished Chef Extroardinaire,... What style BBQ"s do you use ? and which shelf of your oven when cooking there...
Here is some of my recent efforts, these were Done, Smoked, BBQ'd in a 30 Gallon Drum BBQ/Smoker...Bacon Wrapped, Chicken Breast with Jalipino's and a 14lb Brisket done Medium

Attachments

• P1050836.JPG
    P1050836.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 15
  • P1050835.JPG
    P1050835.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P1050829.JPG
    P1050829.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 13
  • P1050815.JPG
    P1050815.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 13
  • brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 13
  • brisket 2.jpg
    brisket 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 12

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Hey there Carol... I really enjoy your Postings & you are obviously an Accomplished Chef Extroardinaire,... What style BBQ"s do you use ? and which shelf of your oven when cooking there...
Here is some of my recent efforts, these were Done, Smoked, BBQ'd in a 30 Gallon Drum BBQ/Smoker...Bacon Wrapped, Chicken Breast with Jalipino's and a 14lb Brisket done Medium
Lol, I am no chef for sure. My parents did own a restaurant when I was growing up, so I guess I got the cooking bug from them. It was nothing fancy, fried chicken, home-made sausage etc. My dad was also a butcher and knew his way around a smoker. If I could be half as good as he was, I would be happy. I use a pretty basic locker style smoker. If I'm going to smoke something I load it up. Ribs on the lowest racks, chicken on the next and sausage on the top rack. I don't do brisket, because I don't have the patience, and because a guy I work with does excellent brisket but my ribs are better, so we trade.;) I don't even use my oven in the summer, I pretty much grill whenever I can. The bacon wrapped tenderloin I posted was done on an indirect grill.

Top Bottom