Whats in your Yamadori collecting bag?

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
I carry my rucksack, a fiskars folding saw, shovel, rope, duct-tape, heady duty trash bags, big bottle of water, a lopper and a long steel bar to lever rocks out of the way.

What do you carry when you go Yamadori hunting?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Folding saw and a Bag.

Same stuff I bring to....

Lol...

You see the one where the dude bought a suitcase and latex gloves at 3am at Wal-Mart....busted!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
folding saw, pruners , shovel, flagging tape, trash bags, paper towels , water

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cargo pack
Small shovel
Garden shears
Water bottle
Spray bottle
Folding saw
Hori hori knife
Stretch wrap (get some - it'll make your life so much easier!)
I don't use the anvil loppers any more, and the pick mattock I only use if the tree is in hard caliche soil.
IMG_3761.JPG

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cargo pack
Small shovel
Garden shears
Water bottle
Spray bottle
Folding saw
Hori hori knife
I don't use the anvil loppers any more, and the pick mattock I only use if the tree is in hard caliche soil.
View attachment 147539
Oh, on more thing - reciprocating saw!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I won't get into extracting tools for this post, site specific and everyone has favourites.

Material for packing the rootball though, extremely important! The roots need to be kept moist of course and immobilized very well, keeps soil on, reduces mechanical damage etc..

Lots of water in the pack and a misting bottle to frequently spray roots that are exposed during to extraction process.

Sheets of pre-moistened material and the stretch wrap that Pinion mentioned!!!

These items above are pretty much the most important items in my pack, I have forgotten to pack this or that often enough when collecting before. If I don't have my mister, stretch wrap or fabric I really feel like an idiot with reduced chances, I'd rather forget the shovel, seriously.

Thin lightweight fabric like an old bedsheet or light burlap is good, coarse burlap is heavy and bulky. Scissors to cut sheets to size are nice.

Get the rootball atop the fabric, add folds/bunches of the fabric where needed for support and padding, fire some moist moss in here and there if needed.
Treat it like a first aid injury, immobilize the hell out of it with lots off padding in voids and pack'er tight! Cover the whole thing tightly with the stretch packing wrap, there's a lot of wrap on one little roll.

I spent plenty of time packing with just string, tape, plastic bags and moss like we see photos of even highly regarded collectors still doing nowadays. Never again.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cargo pack
Small shovel
Garden shears
Water bottle
Spray bottle
Folding saw
Hori hori knife
View attachment 147539

Nice, set-up. If you're going for rock pocket trees you might want to add a rockhounds hammer and a cold chisel, not a lot of weight, useful.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting... do you take a pry bar, as well?

Hardly ever. I'd love to have one with me but most of my spots have real gnarly access. Long, steep, thick, bushwhacky, blowdown... Hard to get in with nothing on the back. Damn near impossible to pack a big tree with fragile deadwood out. Just can't handle the weight and size of a large prybar. Cold chisels and hammer kind of can do the same thing and more than a prybar with a lot less bulk to carry. Kind of...I've got some other small tools too but they're classified, top secret. :)

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hardly ever. I'd love to have one with me but most of my spots have real gnarly access. Long, steep, thick, bushwhacky, blowdown... Hard to get in with nothing on the back. Damn near impossible to pack a big tree with fragile deadwood out. Just can't handle the weight and size of a large prybar. Cold chisels and hammer kind of can do the same thing and more than a prybar with a lot less bulk to carry. Kind of...I've got some other small tools too but they're classified, top secret. :)
Shrink ray?
https://i.vimeocdn.com/video/351189351_960.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A saw and a shovel.
Buckets to put them in or just old t shirts to wrap the roots in.

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Cargo pack
Small shovel
Garden shears
Water bottle
Spray bottle
Folding saw
Hori hori knife
View attachment 147539

Where did you get that cargo pack? I have been looking for one online for 2 hours now.

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score

Could you possibly share a link. When i search "cargo pack" on amazon i get pages of unrelated stuff and cant seem to find one like yours.

Scratch that, just found it as a "frame only" deal now. Thanks for the brand name

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
The brand is Alps Outdoorz

Do you know what model that is, it looked like the "commander" but yours seems to have a lip on the front that the commander does not.

Top Bottom