What's it like to attend an Intensive program?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wow... it’s been 4 1/2 years since I last posted to this thread! Really? Time flies...

Since my last post, I graduated from the Intensive program, but I continue to return to Boon’s 3 or 4 times a year for “independent study”. I have my own bench of trees there, and I sit back in the corner while Boon teaches the class. If he has a new handout or something, I’ll join in the class.

And when it comes to major projects, the hands-on stuff becomes a group effort. My trident, screwed to a board, was the subject of one of our projects last time. Everyone wanted to see how the roots faired on the board.

@markyscott brought his big JBP from Houston packed in a dishwasher box, and padded with rolls of paper towels! Boon is good for paper towels for a year!

I’m trying to remember what all went on... we grafted, wired, unwired, repotted, sharpened tools, drank a few beers, and swapped “big fish” stories!

Daisaku Nomoto was there, and he wired this JBP:

View attachment 228295

He also brought back Roy Minerai’s award pots from Japan. And we got to hear exactly what the judges liked, and disliked, about them.

Stuff like that happens at Boon’s. One time when I was there, there were 5 guys who had apprenticed in Japan, two of which had won Kokofu, two other guys who later went on to apprentice in Japan.

The environment there makes you feel you’re at the center of the bonsai universe (or at least one of major junctions!)

Never mind you’re surrounded by 2000 amazing trees!

I believe that there is no better way to learn bonsai (without committing 5 years to an apprenticeship in Japan).

We chugged beer while unwiring my western juniper. I styled an Ashe juniper. We pulled a lot of wire off your pine. We made fun of Morton. We did a bunch of grafting - more grafts on the Sierra juniper and the black pine. Can’t wait to go back!

S

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just remember, you cannot pick up bonsai by osmosis, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to details. I know of people who have taken an extensive program and instantly decided they had become a master by their presence at the event. They had suddenly acquired the skill, knowledge and artistry of the teacher and proceeded to teach every body they came in contact with that they knew every thing there was to know about bonsai but had no trees to prove the issue.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just remember, you cannot pick up bonsai by osmosis, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to details. I know of people who have taken an extensive program and instantly decided they had become a master by their presence at the event. They had suddenly acquired the skill, knowledge and artistry of the teacher and proceeded to teach every body they came in contact with that they knew every thing there was to know about bonsai but had no trees to prove the issue.
Ah! The “Big hat, no cattle” syndrome!

No fear of that from me, Vance!

I freely share what I have learned, but I can guarantee you that I “walk the walk”!

(I’m trying to think of more clichés, but my mind isn’t quick enough...)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We chugged beer while unwiring my western juniper. I styled an Ashe juniper. We pulled a lot of wire off your pine. We made fun of Morton. We did a bunch of grafting - more grafts on the Sierra juniper and the black pine. Can’t wait to go back!

S
Not to mention our epic road trip to Lone Pine and Jim Gremel’s!

Good times!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not to mention our epic road trip to Lone Pine and Jim Gremel’s!

Good times!
Missed Lone Pine this trip but got to Jim's. I was happy to find that he still had a decent supply of wire left when i got there! This time i was able to get some 22 which he had been short of for some time. However, rumour has it that a couple of his tree's were missing. You guy's would not know anything about that would you?
The really good thing was one of Jim's pots recently removed from the kiln found its way into my van. I like his rustic style for some of my collected conifers.

By the way young fellow, making fun of the cook is not always wise, particularily if you plan on returning.;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ah! The “Big hat, no cattle” syndrome!

No fear of that from me, Vance!

I freely share what I have learned, but I can guarantee you that I “walk the walk”!

(I’m trying to think of more clichés, but my mind isn’t quick enough...)
We have talked about this often over the years and I think you know what and who I am talking about.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Missed Lone Pine this trip but got to Jim's. I was happy to find that he still had a decent supply of wire left when i got there! This time i was able to get some 22 which he had been short of for some time. However, rumour has it that a couple of his tree's were missing. You guy's would not know anything about that would you?
The really good thing was one of Jim's pots recently removed from the kiln found its way into my van. I like his rustic style for some of my collected conifers.

By the way young fellow, making fun of the cook is not always wise, particularily if you plan on returning.;)
I think one of Jim’s trees may have found its way to my bench at Boon’s. Scott May have bought something, too.

I found an Ume stump at Lone Pine that needed a home.

Oh, we love Morten! He is certainly a gracious host! Did he tell you about his silversmithing? I thought so! Lol!!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

While I was at Lone Pine, there were two ladies pensively staring at the 5 or 6 Ume’s In wood boxes. I saw one with good deadwood, and waited until they wandered away, then snagged it.

Then, they came back, and asked me why I had picked the one I did? After all, it had all that dead wood...

So, I told them I picked it because the beauty of Ume is it produces these amazing, delicate, fragrant flowers in the dead of winter when everything else is dormant! And the contrast between the flowers and the old, gnarly, dead-looking trunk just adds to the beauty...

And they were suddenly aware.

So, then they asked, when do they cut them back? I said right after the flowers fade. They said, “Oh...” rather wistfully. “We’re looking for something to be styled in October.”

October?

Yes, for a demo. Sergio Cuan (@MACH5) is going to do a demo for our club, and we’re looking for material for him! Much hilarity ensued! Anyway, we spared Sergio from having to do an Ume and got him a nice Japanese Maple!

Sergio, you owe me!!! Lol!!!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think one of Jim’s trees may have found its way to my bench at Boon’s. Scott May have bought something, too.

I found an Ume stump at Lone Pine that needed a home.

Oh, we love Morten! He is certainly a gracious host! Did he tell you about his silversmithing? I thought so! Lol!!!
We are fortunate to have the opportunity to visit such a range of great nurseries across this continent! Glad you were able to find some stock! And very pleased you did not clean Jim out of wire before i got there.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We are fortunate to have the opportunity to visit such a range of great nurseries across this continent! Glad you were able to find some stock! And very pleased you did not clean Jim out of wire before i got there.

If only we’d known you were coming, Frank. We would have purchased more aggressivley.

S

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If only we’d known you were coming, Frank. We would have purchased more aggressivley.

S
How thoughtful. Next thing you know it will be a competition and referees will be required. Perhaps we should organise a group shopping trip along the Pacific Northwest Bonsai Trail. We could start in Washington, travel through Oregon, California and end up at Boon's. We could approach vendors for sponsorship and inclusion in the itinerary. A support caravan could be arranged with trailers to accommodate purchases. Participants would pay an entry fee. On second thought perhaps there should also be a cap on the amount that can be spent on one tree! Or at the very least consideration of the exchange rate for international participants. The actual caravan should be a rented bus to ensure that the group arrives at the same time and certain parties do not arrive ahead of time to scoop up the gems.
New tradition. A bonsai show for the best starter tree for lack of a better term. perhaps more categories are required.
The culmination would be a non-traditional award for the best tree that has yet to be worked on! The winner gets the entry fee's . Want to keep this as a non profit, although there is little risk of a profit!
If it is successful then expansion across the continent to include bonsai enthusiasts from sea to sea. Alternate years reverse directions and destination.
PS: I wish this snow would melt so i could begin re-potting season by finding my trees.

smjmsy00

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I
At the Intensives, Boon gives each student a BIB apron to wear and keep. BIB stands for Bay Island Bonsai. It's a bonsai club where Boon is the sensei, based in the Bay Area (San Francisco) of California. When I put that on, it reminds me to only use the highest quality techniques, to not accept sloppy shortcuts in my work, to do whatever I do in the most Professional manner possible. It psyches me up.

I wish he still did this! :)

Top Bottom