What's on this juniper?

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This just started showing up on juniper. I pruned out a couple of branches that have this. Should I be concerned? Is this a gall of some sort? How is the best way to treat this? It looks bad on the tree. I'm referring to the yellowish like growth on the branch.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 89

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The picture isn't quite clear enough for identification. Maybe you could get closer and take some pics from the side, too. From this view it could be anything from a small snail to a gall or some kind, or a scale insect.

Cedar apple rust on junipers is usually jelly-like, and has orange "fingers" bristling on it.

Your county agricultural extension agent's office could likely identify it for you.

I would not spry until you know what it is; it doesn't see to be damaging the plant.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The picture isn't quite clear enough for identification. Maybe you could get closer and take some pics from the side, too. From this view it could be anything from a small snail to a gall or some kind, or a scale insect.

Cedar apple rust on junipers is usually jelly-like, and has orange "fingers" bristling on it.

Your county agricultural extension agent's office could likely identify it for you.

I would not spry until you know what it is; it doesn't see to be damaging the plant.

The orange jelly phase occurs when the galls mature in the spring and burst open to release spores. Otherwise, in my experience, they are hard, pea-like in shape, and green or brown in color. If you do a search or go to the link I provided, you can see that the developing galls can look just like this. I've been dealing with rust on my junipers for the last 5 years and I honestly can't think anything else that it could be. Still, an experienced nurseryman or Ag extension agent should be able to easily confirm the diagnosis.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
This just started showing up on juniper. I pruned out a couple of branches that have this. Should I be concerned? Is this a gall of some sort? How is the best way to treat this? It looks bad on the tree. I'm referring to the yellowish like growth on the branch.

Thanks

Nova it doesn't look like anything, just some yellowing on the stems. Thats normal for junipers. I would not worry.

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was thinking it was cedar apple rust after more research on the local tree care page for my area. I think it starts off like this and then the jelly like appears at a time of higher moisture...not too sure. It's definitely not a snail. I took one off and underneath is a whitish pulpy substance. I took some more close up pics. Is copper fungicide a good preventative? If so, when would be a good time to apply? Link says spring? Would only one application do it or is more recommended?

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was thinking it was cedar apple rust after more research on the local tree care page for my area. I think it starts off like this and then the jelly like appears at a time of higher moisture...not too sure. It's definitely not a snail. I took one off and underneath is a whitish pulpy substance. I took some more close up pics. Is copper fungicide a good preventative? If so, when would be a good time to apply? Link says spring? Would only one application do it or is more recommended?

Daconil is probably better for this type of fungus, especially when not "fruiting". Copper works best on mold and mildew fungi, in my experience, as it doesn't kill the fungus but prevents it from reproducing/spreading.

Top Bottom