what's the best way to remove hard water stains from Leaves?

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a Ficus that I bought from a nursery and the leaves have some white Calcium deposit's on the leaves. I'm trying to figure out the best way to remove it with out trimming the leaves off.

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
flavonsai
Google a leaf shine product. Purchase it. Sray it on to a soft cloth or maybe several paper towels. If the paper towels leaves lint behind, then be sure to use a soft cloth. Maybe something like a dusting choimis or mircofiber dusting cloth. Depending on the size of your tree, set an hour or several hours aside so that you can wipe each leave individualily, gently, to start to remove the calcium deposits. (Make sure it Ca and not fungal).

Or, if your water is not hard, then water the foliage when watering to start removal. In your location the ficus should be fast growing and after a year or so any affected leaves will be able to be cut off (maybe leaving terminal leaves to encourage back budding and braching) leaving only fresh, new leaves in their place.

I'm no ficus expert, but I'd give the second option a try if you don't plan on showing the tree any time soon.
Hope this helps.

Ray

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
How do you know it's calcium. Boxwood do the same thing and I'm not sure it is calcium deposits. It only seems to happen on the leaves on the lower branches.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Could also be remnants of the milky sap ficus is famous for; hard to guess without a photo...(hint, hint).

Flabonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for the responses ;) My water is pretty hard where I live also, So I'm going to be collecting some rain water hopefully today, We have a 50% change for rain. The leaves aren't real bad, I've seen worse Here's a few pics

Attachments

• IMG_1853.jpg
    IMG_1853.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1856.jpg
    IMG_1856.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg