What's the chance they will live....?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I dug 2 azaleas this past weekend.....I know wrong time of year but the bulldozer is going to level the whole place on the 17th of this month so I figured I would give them a chance. The digging was easy. It's been over a year since I have done any collecting, that last was a large bald cypress which I happy to report is doing just fine.

IMG_4173.JPG

johng

Omono
Reaction score
worth a shot...I would certainly protect from temperature extremes thru the rest of the winter.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What up Wee!?

I think they'll be fine!

Sorce

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well they have already seen 2 nights of low 20's.....If it's going down into the teens I will bring them in. They have very small shiny leaves so I hope they will be cold tolerant once they are established, I have no clue what color flowers they may produce....There are 5 or 6 more left but all have just small bunches of stems coming out of the ground and not really worth the trouble.

I spent most of my summer and fall working on my Vette....All the bonsai are doing well but I did have to repot a couple after Briggs knocked them off the shelves.

Brian

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would certainly seal the cuts, spray the remaining leaves with Wilt-Pruf and get them on the ground and mulch the pots over. Put you feet up and see what you have around the time that The Masters is on. You'll know by then.
CW

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow nice article (within the link you posted):
------------------
These species which have been listed by regional
conservation nurseries as benefiting from sweating, under
certain conditions include:
• Green ash
• Bur oak
• Hackberry
• Chokecherry
• Juneberry
• Amur maple
• Ussurian (Harbin) pear
• Skunkbush sumac
• Birch
• Mountain ash
• Hawthorns

Trees and shrubs that remain dormant for most or all of the
first growing season will probably die before the next growing
season. If you have had problems in past years with getting
some of these species to leaf out, consider the technique of
sweating.
------------------
So basicly i had to sweat my collected birch, it still survived but leaved out very late (almost too late).

Last edited:
Top Bottom