What's the cure for boredom in bonsai?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You could always start throwing clay.. ;)

But yes.. more species.. different species..

I’m REALLY looking forward to Fall work this season.. it can be annoying waiting for the first leaves to fall on certain species to start work... buuuut with as many plants as I have now... I cherish the “quiet moments”.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More trees. I have about 160 trees, spread across junipers, taxus, pines and many species of deciduous and a number of tropicals. As these are developing, I am getting to a point where I am always behind. Never a dull moment. Need to reduce seriously to be able to keep up next season.

30 large mature trees should keep you pretty busy normally

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A lot of good suggestions. Someone mentioned propagation. You can do cuttings, air layers, etc.
I also like to do projects i.e. Grafting Shinpaku on other Junipers, Grafting Cork Bark on JBP.
Also try to create Neagari Azaleas and JBP. Create long rooted maples for Root Over Rock trees. etc.
Even tried a few Tanuki Junipers. There are so many different techniques and methods in Bonsai and I like to experiment.
I even grow same species in different substrates to see if there is a difference in growth and development.
Also took Pottery class last winter ! (Throwing pots on a wheel is a lot harder than it looks, lol !)
I caution you, like Leatherback mentioned above, more trees can keep you pretty busy so make sure you don't over do it !

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Everyone's number of how many trees they can reasonably and righteously care for is different, but they are all inflated.

More trees is never the way to go to cure boredom.
I wish someone told me that before I ended up with 40+ bits of material

Then again, I’m happy with my material :)

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
remember the gun-ho 13 year old that posted 10 times a day? havent seen them in a while
With few exceptions, today's youth have the attention span of a gnat. I blame the Internet and social media. When I was 13, I could sit for hours on our dock down in Florida and fish my entire weekend away. When I used to keep saltwater reef tanks, I easily sat for an hour at a time just staring at all the magic going on in the water. When I eventually have a nice collection of trees, I can see myself cruising around my backyard displays in the evening with a beer or tequila just fawning over the trees, marveling in all that they are, and all that I did to help them get there.

Last edited:

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wish someone told me that before I ended up with 40+ bits of material
I think it depends on the type of material. Just to make an overexaggerated example, I think having 40 full-developed, "finished" bonsai trees would be too much for me. However, doubling my current stock of stuff being grown out in pots to a total of 40 would be relatively easy to maintain. It's not difficult to water, sprinkle fertilizer, and occasionally spray neem oil here and there.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think it depends on the type of material. Just to make an overexaggerated example, I think having 40 full-developed, "finished" bonsai trees would be too much for me. However, doubling my current stock of stuff being grown out in pots to a total of 40 would be relatively easy to maintain. It's not difficult to water, sprinkle fertilizer, and occasionally spray neem oil here and there.
Do a “who would win in a fight , Bjorn or Arya Neil” thread

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm in the same boat as you @AcerAddict. I'm in my 2nd year now and I've got a few "pre-bonsai" trees and a bunch of seedlings. It's slow going right now, just watering and watching, mostly.

I'll be adding a few more this winter and sowing another batch of seeds. I want to have different trees in different stages so I'll have different things to do and learn.

When I'm in the bonsai mood, I come here and learn and I window shop online. I've also been going to nurseries and have even scouted out a couple trees I want to dig up from the hills by my house.

So yeah, my plan right now is.... more trees!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do a “who would win in a fight , Bjorn or Arya Neil” thread
Dude... Ryan, totally!!!

All “Bonsai Skills” aside..

Ryan looks like he exercises... Bjorn just looks like a guy. 🤣

They BOTH produce FANTASTIC horticultural art.

;)

(Just gettin’ it goin’)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(Somebody will probably swing through and say somethin’ like, “But Bjorn is a disciple of Jeet Kune Do, and knew Bruce Lee, personally..” ...or something.

That’s just my luck!

😂🤣🤣😂😂)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
as others mentioned, it seems this is more a marathon and lifestyle than anything immediate per se

remember the gun-ho 13 year old that posted 10 times a day? havent seen them in a while
@Njyamadori? He's still about now and again. Last thread I talked to him in was a couple weeks ago. Pops in with questions, but not enough updates. Took up fishing too, or something like that.

With few exceptions, today's youth have the attention span of a gnat.
Be nice. See above.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@Njyamadori? He's still about now and again. Last thread I talked to him in was a couple weeks ago. Pops in with questions, but not enough updates. Took up fishing too, or something like that.

Be nice. See above.
Oooh! He’s talking about NJ!?

I love that kid.

🤓

(The reason he’s around less now would PROBABLY be school-related ;) )

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
as others mentioned, it seems this is more a marathon and lifestyle than anything immediate per se

He PMed me not long ago asking me what plants I had available, then disappeared lol

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Dude... Ryan, totally!!!

All “Bonsai Skills” aside..

Ryan looks like he exercises... Bjorn just looks like a guy. 🤣

They BOTH produce FANTASTIC horticultural art.

;)

(Just gettin’ it goin’)
Bjorn literally has footage of him working out in his bonsai studio lol and he has reach but idk how tall Neil is … I’d say he’s got a good ground game with fake downs.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All my stuff has been bought since March

I’m expecting things to die and such. I got doubles and triples of things

Top Bottom