Whats the deal heavy callus

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Keep in mind, just callus is not a failure- these are undifferentiated cells, that are precursors to roots hopefully. There are products used in tissue culture propagation that will switch the cuttings from callus induction mode into root induction mode, lots of info on the internet, and pre made medias are relatively cheap. You could consider adding these to your media. Or make your own and skip the agar

Scoring or removing some of the callus as mentioned will induce more callus growth, and may also increase the chance of growing roots as some cells may get the signal to change.

I have had this happen with cherry and ginkgo cuttings

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The hydro teacher I learned from simply advocates kelp for initiating roots.....plus humic and fulvic acids I think.I may do a water change and set it up strictly for rooting.
Same formula and then the kelp additives.
Also pot one up and give kelp every watering.
Maybe the 1000 ppm of co2 in the tent will get the leaves producing the proper hormones.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The hydro teacher I learned from simply advocates kelp for initiating roots.....plus humic and fulvic acids I think.I may do a water change and set it up strictly for rooting.
Same formula and then the kelp additives.
Also pot one up and give kelp every watering.
Maybe the 1000 ppm of co2 in the tent will get the leaves producing the proper hormones.
Never grown anything hydro but makes sense. Not sure what in the kelp specifically works though. One thing to consider is that for root formation the plants need the necessary carbohydrate supply to grow them, and if the plants aren't producing enough the root growth will stall in the callus phase. In tissue culture this is supplied usually as sucrose, in the form of table sugar or carrot juice. Carrot juice probably has other compounds that may help as well. In a hydro system im not sure what the introduction of sugars would do, ie. Maybe cause contamination growth and spoil the media, but something you could experimentally consider.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never grown anything hydro but makes sense. Not sure what in the kelp specifically works though. One thing to consider is that for root formation the plants need the necessary carbohydrate supply to grow them, and if the plants aren't producing enough the root growth will stall in the callus phase. In tissue culture this is supplied usually as sucrose, in the form of table sugar or carrot juice. Carrot juice probably has other compounds that may help as well. In a hydro system im not sure what the introduction of sugars would do, ie. Maybe cause contamination growth and spoil the media, but something you could experimentally consider.
I believe it is good for leaves to be energetic to form roots....photosynthesis does produce natural rooting hormones that travel down the stem...kelp increases leaf energy and photosynthesis...especially if used with fulvic acid as the transporter into the ions.
I spray them weekly with the kelp.
1000 ppm of co2 will increase photosynthesis by 50%!!!
But,I often hear conflicting info online....I guess listen to the teacher ,as it is on par with what we are inclined to deduce right off the bat here👍
I am just going to add some kelp tonight i to the resevoir,and pot one up too and put into the tent👍

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I believe it is good for leaves to be energetic to form roots....photosynthesis does produce natural rooting hormones that travel down the stem...kelp increases leaf energy and photosynthesis...especially if used with fulvic acid as the transporter into the ions.
I spray them weekly with the kelp.
1000 ppm of co2 will increase photosynthesis by 50%!!!
But,I often hear conflicting info online....I guess listen to the teacher ,as it is on par with what we are inclined to deduce right off the bat here👍
I am just going to add some kelp tonight i to the resevoir,and pot one up too and put into the tent👍
CO2 will absolutely increase photosynthesis if its the only limiting factor so if it doesn't work something else is limiting growth.

How long are the lights on? Have you considered increasing the photo period to see if it induces growth?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
CO2 will absolutely increase photosynthesis if its the only limiting factor so if it doesn't work something else is limiting growth.

How long are the lights on? Have you considered increasing the photo period to see if it induces growth?
They get 18 hrs.
I went ahead per my teachers instructions and made a very concentrated rooting solution made of kelp,humic and fulvic acids,and a little bit of amino acids and squirted it directly on the stems to run off into the resevoir in a more dilited form.
I will give it a few more days and see what we get.
If nothing,I will consider other alternatives.I am going to look at Dirr’s propogation book here in a few minutes.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have never managed to strike hawthorn as cuttings despite plenty of attempts. I was led to believe they do not respond.
Your results give some hope and I will watch for updates.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Try dropping the light time to something less. This might simulate the passage of the summer solstice and, I believe, help making roots. The entire tree gets a message when the summer solstice passes and the growth mode switches, I do believe. See those old 'repotting' experiment threads of mine from years ago (the 'Zelkova Repotting Experiment', for example)

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have never managed to strike hawthorn as cuttings despite plenty of attempts. I was led to believe they do not respond.
Your results give some hope and I will watch for updates.
Yes,Dirr states English Hawthorn only rarely strike from cuttings.

Top Bottom