What's the deal with Joshua Roth?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I've never purchased anything from Joshua Roth, but i'm considering a Copper Watering can because it looks like the best option for a Copper Watering can on Amazon(using left over Amazon points).

Is Joshua Roth made in the U.S. or Japan? Do they make tools directly? How does the quality compare to other brands? Anyone have their copper watering can? thanks!

Last edited:

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Most of the tools are made in Japan. The quality depends on the grade-the beginner grade is ok for beginners but the professional grade is good. The stainless tools are also quite good.
They also have started selling Ruygu tools from China- don't have personal experience with these but have heard good things.
Personally I think copper watering cans are grossly overpriced-though I sell them. Haws watering cans while expensive and a little hard to find are a much better value for the money and have as fine a rose as you'll need.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
my first concave cutter was a Joshua Roth. I dont think I got the beginner model and am certain I did not get the pro model. It lasted me a good 15 years before one blade broke. Now I use it on roots because it still has the front half to the point intact. I also still have my first watering can which is plastic and while showing signs of aging, still is servicable. The rose surface has cracked because it too is plastic, but it gets the job done. I dont think I will ever bring myself to spend the money on a copper watering can. Just too many good plastic models available for far less.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From what I understand, Joshua Roth is only a brand name contracted out by a Japanese tool maker--can't remember which one exactly. Not an uncommon practice for tool makers. It's a "store brand" of sorts.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Most of the tools are made in Japan. The quality depends on the grade-the beginner grade is ok for beginners but the professional grade is good. The stainless tools are also quite good.
They also have started selling Ruygu tools from China- don't have personal experience with these but have heard good things.
Personally I think copper watering cans are grossly overpriced-though I sell them. Haws watering cans while expensive and a little hard to find are a much better value for the money and have as fine a rose as you'll need.

Amazon has had some amazing deals for Haws.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Usage of copper for anything water-related has me skeptical. You know, with rust and all. Unless of course they're coated with a rust-resistant finish then maybe. I guess I'm cheap. I like using just an old fashioned garden watering can.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
"Intriguedbybonsai

Usage of copper for anything water-related has me skeptical. You know, with rust and all. Unless of course they're coated with a rust-resistant finish then maybe. I guess I'm cheap. I like using just an old fashioned garden watering can."

That is the whole point of copper, it does not rust. Only steel rusts. A good copper can will last many, many years.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As mentioned, Copper doesn't rust or degrade like iron-based metals. That's why it's used in bonsai wire too.

I own a 1/2 gallon Japanese copper watering can (it was a gift). I used it maybe three times. Just too small to be practical for watering 25-50 bonsai. To get a bigger one would cost a friggn fortune.

I've used an English galvanized 3 gallon watering can with a fine watering head for years to apply fertilizer. I use a Masakuni sprayer on the garden hose for everyday watering.\

Plastic watering cans aren't worth much. Plastic degrades in sunlight and they're nowhere near as sturdy as a good galvanized can...IMO anyway.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I had no idea. Thanks for the clear up.;) I guess I must have been thinking about pennies, which rust over time. Unless they are not made with pure copper.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just bought a 1.5 gal. Haws from Bonsai Outlet for 39.95. PLASTIC, yay. Never dents or rusts.... only thing now is to get a round rose for it, as the oval wastes too much. Never thought I'd see a haws that I could afford. But it's great.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Garden delux

I like my simple inexpensive plastic watering can from the garden shop. I have a couple of 50 gallon rain barrels and the plastic can floats nicely...even when full...and I'm always ready with a can of water. I just leave the plastic can right in the barrel.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That is the whole point of copper, it does not rust. Only steel rusts. A good copper can will last many, many years.

Last I heard plastic doesn't rust, either. Or corrode (which copper will do).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plastic disintegrates in UV light, some pretty quickly. Cheapo Walmat plastic watering cans won't last more than a year or so left outside...The better plastic stuff is made from stabilized plastic.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Iron oxides and is called rust, copper also oxidizes and degrades and turns blue just like pennies or the statue of liberty. I've heard experience bonsai folk say to be extra careful about little scraps of copper falling into your soil when removing wire, Graham Potter for one. Because it will oxidize and IS toxic to plants. Which left me scratching my head about what wire to wire your tree into the pot with. I'm no watering can expert but I would agree that copper probably degrades much slower than iron does. But also makes you wonder if the inside of your copper can is oxidizing, are you slowing feeding trace copper to you plants...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To properly remove wire, you don't cut it off. Unwind the smaller gauges. The large gauge wire, yes, you cut off, but those chunks would be easy to see if they fell onto the soil.

Use pliers to grab the end of the wire, and reverse spin the wire to remove it.

Yes, I KNOW we were all taught to cut off wire in little chunks. And that's why bonsai wire cutters are flat on the ends. But unwinding is the better way.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I received a Haws Slimcan for my Birthday - Most likely will last many years and is "correct" for when I need to use a can. Go to their site and choose a model and then shop around for a decent price http://www.hawswateringcans.com/slimcan.asp. They say the MINUMUM life expectancy is 20 years...

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Iron oxides and is called rust, copper also oxidizes and degrades and turns blue just like pennies or the statue of liberty. I've heard experience bonsai folk say to be extra careful about little scraps of copper falling into your soil when removing wire, Graham Potter for one. Because it will oxidize and IS toxic to plants. Which left me scratching my head about what wire to wire your tree into the pot with. I'm no watering can expert but I would agree that copper probably degrades much slower than iron does. But also makes you wonder if the inside of your copper can is oxidizing, are you slowing feeding trace copper to you plants...

For wiring in pots, go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy aluminum electric fence wires in spools. Stronger than regular copper (tensile wise-as far as I can tell), cheap, malleable, and doesn't corrode (until you repot at least).

Trace copper wire oxides is probably not enough to hurt the plant. Could be good to keep fungus in check actually.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
When I first started doing bonsai in my then youthful enthusiasm and desire to do things the right way. I wanted a good watering can, mostly because the one bonsai book I had suggested that it was necessary. The actual truth is; unless there is something wrong with your city water, using a garden hose with the correct nozzle makes the job much easier and works just as well. It ain't pretty but it but it gets the job done a lot faster and less a pain in the butt. A gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds three gallons of water is 24 pounds and carrying that amount of weight around to water what will eventually become too many trees will wear you out.

A good nozzle for the garden hose will save both your back and your trees. I don't know how many people realize that these nozzles are colored coded as to the number of holes which regulates the size of the spray. The best ones are red. I don't know precisely how many holes there are in them but I have found they deliver the kind of spray I could expect from a watering can. I don't mean to hijack a thread but just wanted to remind people that using a watering can won't make for better bonsai just a lot more work where reasons to ignore can become significant when the days are hot requiring more than one watering in the heat. Considering that the cost of a good coper can can be significant and unless it is necessary, it is only eye candy and won't make for better bonsai---- except in the case where you might pay closer attention to your trees because you need an opportunity to use your pretty coper watering can.

Last edited:
Top Bottom