What's the last thing you've learned in bonsai

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Personally and politically I've changed a ton in the past 10 years. Even the past 5. As a result of learning and experiencing new things, I'm just trying to do the best with what I know. It's been said that lots of folks in bonsai for decades have repeated that first year over and over ...as an explanation of why they haven't progressed.

So, I ask you: What's the last thing you've learned in bonsai? When we start, everything's new. Maybe it's the latin name for a species, or the fact that it's possible to lift a tree off another section of a tree after its rooted with airlayering, ...or that the rocks need to be pried off the juniper, or maybe that you shouldn't keep acquiring material (quantity) and start to focus on BETTER (quality) material.

Scion grafting's at the top of my list. I've known what it was, had my teacher demonstrate, and even had a little success several years ago, but for some reason I had a mental hangup on moving forward with that. I dove in again this spring and hoping to have some takeaways in the next few months. Last year and the year before, the main things I learned was energy balancing.

So, what is it? What's the latest thing you've learned in bonsai?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a good little tutorial, I mean I've known how to do sphagnum but this extra step of screening it was something I had not done will try it out this year. I usually do it in an old blender...

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Deadwood on a California Juniper can be rehydrated to be bent/manipulated. Elasticity is almost as good as a live vein. Does not work on the deadwood of an RMJ.

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
Cool topic!

As a result of killing half a dozen trees last summer I learned a few important things. The most important being discipline. Don't rush things. Take the time NOW to do the work properly. Otherwise you waste time and kill trees. Every one of my trees that died did so because of me rushing something important... I overworked the roots, used poor substrate, didn't anchor the tree properly and didn't provide adequate winter protection.

I'm hoping for more success this season.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is a whole world of plant nutrition I am just starting to touch. Substrate, water, light, temp, ph... then the fert ratio, calcium intake, fulvic acid, mono ammonium phosphate, kelp, alphalpha, bonemeal, worm castings, charcoal.... the goal would be to create extreme growth. But of course, then begins the ramification process. Timing is also important for needle length. I am still learning on this one but I just ordered some expensive chemicals. I should make a chemical/nutrition post some day.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Deadwood on a California Juniper can be rehydrated to be bent/manipulated. Elasticity is almost as good as a live vein. Does not work on the deadwood of an RMJ.
As I might want to try it on some of my junipers (not exactly what type is this)... how do you rehydrate them? Wet rug for 2-3 days? ... or something more sophisticated?

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As I might want to try it on some of my junipers (not exactly what type is this)... how do you rehydrate them? Wet rug for 2-3 days? ... or something more sophisticated?
Wet paper towel or towel wrapped around the deadwood for about 2-3 hours did the trick with mine. Basically put it on while starting the restyling. The likelihood of it working depends on the hardiness of the deadwood.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't immediately put your repotted bonsais back on their display stand, but put them all together cozily on the ground, sheltered from the wind. No moving/transporting for the next two months.

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ve learned that I am too addicted to bonsai videos, this forum, bonsai focus, etc. like teenegers on tik-tok 😂

Top Bottom