What's the most expensive tree you have killed?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I haven't bought any expensive trees to have killed yet, though if you go by online prices I've nerfed a couple $250 junipers. In reality they were $20 garden center finds 😅

My problem wasn't killing one tree. It was buying a bunch of $40-$80 japanese maples and killing them all. Well, the heat did the killing, I was just the accomplice.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This thread is a perfect example as to why I drag my feet on moving up to more expensive material.
If you have the horticultural side down on keeping bonsai more expensive material isn't so bad.

I've been into gardening and bonsai since I was little so that helps me alot.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have the horticultural side down on keeping bonsai more expensive material isn't so bad.

I've been into gardening and bonsai since I was little so that helps me alot.
I was kind of joking. But kind of serious lol.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I killed an amazing collected Hemlock due to lack of experience in my rookie season. It wasn't expensive but it still hurts to this day. Was not prepared and over eager. I deleted all my pics of it just because. But I found one from the thread I started then. Ugh... I wish I could delete it too.
1670081339432.png

JLBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks everyone, appreciate all of the replies and pictures. Some really beautiful pieces and hopefully more learning from all that were lost.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
$250 Japanese Maple pre bonsai. It had potential. It died of Verticillium but it was my only maple impacted so I think it came with the tree and I got lucky.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There are a few that still sting.
  • A workshop JBP that should've been entering into refinement but I kept repotting it each year. $200-ish, with workshop included.
  • A couple neagari Satsuki azaleas that were given to me. Both were weak and both succumbed to summer. $4-800 range.
  • A Stewartia that was beginning to develop that went into a too-shallow pot too soon ...particularly with 3-digit temps WAY earlier than expected. Its hard to say what this one was worth, but I wasn't out very much $. Just time and potential.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've killed a $400 pine, personal best. Killed it twenty years ago with an aggressive root pruning.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I killed a $450 imported Japanese White Pine in 1996 when I took it with me from Chicago to SoCal in January (that is about $800 in 2022 dollars). The abrupt wake-up from Chicago winter to Southern California shocked it. The hot dry air and alkaline water did the rest. I also did in a $450 Japanese maple about the same time - for the same reasons.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
$800 Satsuki azalea. I'm a serial azalea killer so I've sworn them off.
Most of my murders have been the result of being away at work 12 hours a day an not being able to water during HOT weather. . Been retired two years now and haven't killed one.😁

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The most valuable tree I've killed so far is a live oak that I collected and spent 3+ years to turn it into a decent bonsai. Other than that, there is a bunch of cheaper things I've bought and killed.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Me, I’m saving up for pots. I don’t tend to buy trees anymore, landscape and wild for me. I can’t really afford good trees anyway & don’t feel like I need to.

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
My good friend, the tree management guy for a large nursery, gave me a $100 Dawn Redwood that was already dwarfed---about 2 feet tall but a very thick trunk. I put in a bonsai pot way too soon and it was dead within 3 months.
[sigh]

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, here's the point. What did we learn from killing an expensive tree? Personally, I learned that horticulture and some experience needs to come before working on expensive stock. I was way too abusive on a pine because I thought it could be worked like a juniper.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
$400 massive shishigashira - completely destroyed it trying to free the roots from the clay soil. RIP.

Come to think of it, my backyard is a bonsai killing field. The ones that make it wish they died. But maybe I'm learning something?

Attachments

• Shishi22.jpg
    Shishi22.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom