What's the recommended way to increase juniper pad density?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You guys.. see now I'm going to have to pinch one side, and cut the other.. and shear the back as a control..
Like this...
760137D1-949B-471F-ACA3-C1076EAC3362.png F2AF0027-E1B9-418F-9C8F-C552DF5D8607.png
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/trimming-junipers-during-the-growing-season/
Here’s the same spot 6 months later, and it hadn’t begun to recover:
9E18834A-CCAB-4FDD-866E-B756F1254D94.jpeg

But we’re plowing old ground and minds won’t change, just the quality of the trees involved. I’ve said it for a long time: find someone who has trees you admire and do what they do. The rest becomes noise.

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Like this...
View attachment 167658 View attachment 167657
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/trimming-junipers-during-the-growing-season/
Here’s the same spot 6 months later, and it hadn’t begun to recover:
View attachment 167656

But we’re plowing old ground and minds won’t change, just the quality of the trees involved. I’ve said it for a long time: find someone who has trees you admire and do what they do. The rest becomes noise.
Not surprisingly, this basic strategy works for a lot of things. What you're essentially doing here is shortening the dominant branches, and letting everything else catch up. By not butchering it, you're keeping that area strong, and back budding naturally occurs at the same time, and the pad fills in. I use a similar strategy to build canopies on things like maples, boxwoods, hornbeams, elms, etc, etc, etc. and have gotten good results.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I mean wide-spread (massive?) removal of foliage tips. With procumbens it can be very much like literally mowing the grass - cutting all the tips off. With other varieties, maybe not so much.

Ramification will not occur without decapitating some apical meristems, just like omelets cannot be made without breaking a few eggs.
Do you have pictures of any well developed Bonsai that were created using this method?

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am interested.

Top Bottom