What's the word on this tree?

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A Sageretia Theezan - Sweet Plum

I live in a place where bonsai is a challenge (zone 3) Extreme winter with crazy warming spells. I've killed my share of malls sticks. Years of learning -reading I'm now keeping pines and spruce alive and love collecting. (sorry for unrelated babble just setting a base line to my question) I'm still a newbie.

Why no mention or talk of the above tree The 'Sweet Plum' on the site? I happened to see one today during a trip to a local garden centre. I see it is a Chinese grown shrub/tree for indoor only in my zone and thats fine. Purchasing quality stock in my area is almost impossible, I've never seen any. I have no local clubs.

I took this pic mainly so I could remember the name, get home and search it. it has a interesting root base, nice fat trunk, every thing else needs work but looks very workable. The tree does not look super healthy but I'm sure I could grind the price down for that reason.

Can it be a worthy bonsai? I'm guessing there are issues as there is no mention of it searching this site.

Thanks for your help, school me please,
Dave

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fixed for now.

Attachments

• righted.jpg
    righted.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 97

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is an extremely tropical tree. It requires conditions that you do not have in Calgary Alberta Canada.

Even my winters in zone nine, breadbasket to the world can't keep these things alive.

Of couse if I lived in southern Cambodia, this thing would thrive!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It also lacks taper and the roots seem to be a tangled mess. Good luck with it up there.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is an extremely tropical tree. It requires conditions that you do not have in Calgary Alberta Canada.

Even my winters in zone nine, breadbasket to the world can't keep these things alive.

Of couse if I lived in southern Cambodia, this thing would thrive!

Thanks for the reply. Obviously I was thinking indoor in the fall, winter and spring. So your saying it would still have a limited chance inside? I can keep Ficus alive inside here.

It also lacks taper and the roots seem to be a tangled mess. Good luck with it up there.

Ya sure thanks... did not purchase it. Yes limited taper it does have some, tree is twice the height then the pic shows. Roots indeed messy but lots of interest. Obviously not a 'A' quality tree but I'll never see that here to purchase.

Last edited:

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Sageretia are used for bonsai in the US and Europe, and there are some very good specimens out there. The drawbacks I've heard of are very angular growth, and it's a bit picky about conditions.

But you can grow anything, anywhere, if you are able and willing to give it the conditions it needs to survive and thrive. That's the question, really, and you're the only one who can answer it. :):)

You might check out Jerry Meislik's site for some guidance on growing tropicals in decidedly non-tropical conditions: http://www.bonsaihunk.us/

The decision, really, is yours. Best of luck!

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sageretia are used for bonsai in the US and Europe, and there are some very good specimens out there. The drawbacks I've heard of are very angular growth, and it's a bit picky about conditions.

But you can grow anything, anywhere, if you are able and willing to give it the conditions it needs to survive and thrive. That's the question, really, and you're the only one who can answer it. :):)

You might check out Jerry Meislik's site for some guidance on growing tropicals in decidedly non-tropical conditions: http://www.bonsaihunk.us/

The decision, really, is yours. Best of luck!

Well said in all regards, I have Jerry's book and it's great. I've lurked on the site for a while before joining and appreciate all the advice and info (well almost all). I asked what I asked mainly because doing a search on the site came up with nothing on the Sageretia? The tree in question seemed to have some potential from what I read on other random sites I do not frequent so I was amazed not to see it mentioned here.
Thanks Treebeard

Top Bottom