Whats this Tree?

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I just returned from holiday in Crete( Greece) and saw these growing in city streets.It has pods like pea full of small seeds but we were too late forflowers
Can anyone identify the tree and would it make a good bonsai?!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The photo didn't come thru. South or north side?

Last edited:

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
sorry photo wont attach! Will try again but message keeps saying Oops! We ran into some problems

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
BNut only loads some formats. Make sure you have .jpeg of .gif

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't think Gleditsia triacanthos can live in that heat.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ooh a game of Pea family bingo.

Leucaena leucocephala maybe?
Delonix regia?

Do you have any of the seed pods? If so what does the actual seed look like inside?
Also what part of Crete, maybe google street view has a picture in a different season.

Last edited:

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Acacia/mimosa family, could be Albizzia too.
Did they have any flowers ?

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
No Flowers - too late in the season, this was in Chania on North coast of Crete.
The seeds were slightly flattened , dark brown shiney about the size of sweet pea seed. Pods brown, about 4-6 inches long

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks everyone I just googled Leucaena leucocephala and its a match for the seeds, pods and leaves! Apparently its an invasive species in some countries?!
Has anyone tried it as Bonsai? It has beautiful soft feathery foliage

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are far too many legumes to pick one out of a line-up by the foliage. The problem is there is always a range in the number of leaves and leaflets, and they overlap. Same for the seed pods as you can see in the photo. You need to see the flowers and even then there are several with white to yellow fuzzy balls. You might peruse advertising for street pictures that show the trees in bloom and hope for something distinctive. I have always been partial to that kind of foliage, and 20 years ago I made a list of them that I wanted to buy or collect on a trip to Florida. There were so many that looked just like what I had in mind that I couldn't positively ID any of them. I came back with several kinds of seed, planted them and still have two groups I haven't positively ID'd yet 20 years latter, because they haven't bloomed.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks everyone I just googled Leucaena leucocephala and its a match for the seeds, pods and leaves! Apparently its an invasive species in some countries?!
Has anyone tried it as Bonsai? It has beautiful soft feathery foliage

While I'm not sure if that's what it is or not (there are a lot of different trees with that type of compound foliage), Leucaena leucocephala does work for bonsai. I don't have any recent photos, but here's one from before I repotted mine this summer.

IMG_1446.jpg

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Traken that looks like it! I kept a few seed so will see if they germinate ! I guess I will have to sow them in the spring when things warm up here

Top Bottom