What's this?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That farm/church/school looks colonial... so that says a lot...

The snow cover doesn’t look quite right...

Looks “doctored” around the pot.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Stucco wall/ backdrop with winter scene clone stamped in. Weird mash up, but fantastic looking tree!

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A not too good photoshop. Look at the tree in the left and you'll see how did they merge the tree into the original pic. The main tree is a bit out of scale, but looking good.

Sital

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A not too good photoshop. Look at the tree in the left and you'll see how did they merge the tree into the original pic. The main tree is a bit out of scale, but looking good.
That's being kind.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here a much better version by Aleksandr from Germany. The first version was quick and dirty and only made to show that this tree could be credible in a natural setting. This is the test for a well don Naturalistic Bonsai Style. Aleksandr m turned this into art.202112-252705932_10223174924334539_4096452605799391675_n.jpg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Wait, I’m really confused. So when you ask, “what’s this?” What are you asking?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
what is this?
Aside from it being a very nice bonsai, it reminds me of the church in Prussia that my great great grandmother was christened in. That church still stands... and it is somewhat of a technical disconnect that I can view it in Google maps :)

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aside from it being a very nice bonsai, it reminds me of the church in Prussia that my great great grandmother was christened in. That church still stands... and it is somewhat of a technical disconnect that I can view it in Google maps :)
What part of Prussia? I too have looked at my South German childhood home on google maps and it does give one an odd feeling.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What part of Prussia? I too have looked at my South German childhood home on google maps and it does give one an odd feeling.
The Prussian side of my family came to the states before German unification. The church I was referring to is in Kreis Flatow (Flatow County) Prussia. However after WWII when the borders shifted west, it was part of Germany that became part of Poland :)

When they left Prussia in 1870 they bought this postcard of the train station in Linde:

Parduhn_History_1.jpg

Via Google street view, here's what it looked like it 2016:

Parduhn_History_2.jpg

(At this point, @Walter Pall is wondering - what happened to my thread about my cool tree?)

Last edited:

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wait, I’m really confused. So when you ask, “what’s this?” What are you asking?

I was asking everybody to think 'why is Walter doing this?' There is a good reason. A tree that looks like a typical bonsai would look very odd in this setting.

Top Bottom