What's with the trunk of my serissa! (& dwarf jade) Advice appreciated

breakingpig

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everybody, just joined the forum today, new to bonsai (aside from a juniper I killed over a decade ago...).

I have (what I was told) is a serissa and a dwarf jade. It was probably pretty stupid to buy a serissa during quarantine but I went ahead and did it anyways. The previous owner didn't have much access to it during COVID-19, and it does look a bit stressed, but I took my chances. The dwarf jade I've had about 1-2 months.

It did have flowers that died while it was sitting during COVID (I know because I see the fallen flowers on the soil). The yellowing of the leaves is also, I assume, from negligence during quarantine. I'm hoping if I leave it for a bit and figure out the watering conditions it'll perk back up. I live in Ottawa, so we have lows of about 1 and highs of 15-20. I keep it indoors near a south facing window.

What I'd like to know is:
  1. What is that shooting out of the trunk of the serissa and is the trunk going to be okay?
  2. Can I repot the serissa and jade right now or is it too late? It's in plain potting soil I think and I'd like to get a mix of pumice, akadama, and lava rock.
  3. Should I start fertilizing the two? Especially the serissa since I'm not sure if it can take it and I read I shouldn't fertilize stressed/sick plants?
I'm guessing some mild pruning and wiring of both would be okay. I'd probably hold off pruning/wiring the serissa if I can repot it, since I don't want to shock it too much. But my priority is (and correct me if it shouldn't be) repotting it in appropriate soil since I'm not what the shop put it in.

Thanks in advance!

- Jess

20200512_1.jpg20200512_2.jpg20200512_3.jpg20200512_4.jpgjade_20200512_1.jpgjade_20200512_2.jpg

Attachments

• 20200512_4.jpg
    20200512_4.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 5

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
My serissa is outside in full sun and has been flourishing this year since moving to a house with a garden. I’ve been fertilizing most of the summer.

Your serissa seems to be a different variety to mine though, mine has much smaller leaves (and is much, much smaller in general). I also get suckers (the shoot you have from your trunk) from the trunk and even the exposed roots that I cut off.

Serissa can be very finicky. Get yours healthy by giving it loads of light and consistent watering. I wouldn’t fertilize yet. Once it’s healthy don’t move it around too much or change the conditions that got it to good health. They don’t like being moved around and their “normal” being disturbed.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My serissa is outside in full sun and has been flourishing this year since moving to a house with a garden. I’ve been fertilizing most of the summer.

Your serissa seems to be a different variety to mine though, mine has much smaller leaves (and is much, much smaller in general). I also get suckers (the shoot you have from your trunk) from the trunk and even the exposed roots that I cut off.

Serissa can be very finicky. Get yours healthy by giving it loads of light and consistent watering. I wouldn’t fertilize yet. Once it’s healthy don’t move it around too much or change the conditions that got it to good health. They don’t like being moved around and their “normal” being disturbed.

This! ....but out of my mouth, too! ;)

breakingpig

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, would it be safe to pluck the yellow leaves off or should I just leave it?

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just focus on care and get the serissa healthy before doing anything. No need to prune or wire, etc. Remove that one shoot and focus on light and water. Don't place it outside in full sun all at once or you're likely to burn the leaves.

Since you're in Ottawa, maybe a good metaphor for this plant right now is driving on ice/snow. You don't want to be doing anything dramatic like slamming on the brakes, hitting the gas, or steering wildly. Pruning, repotting, fertilizing, moving the tree's location etc. are the dramatic movements. Give it slow, consistent care until it's looking healthy. Get to know the tree a little.

The Portulacaria is bomb proof, so long as you don't overwater it. That's the #1 way to kill them. I water mine as little as once a week: wait until the leaves look a little wrinkly and sad before watering. Have fun with it. You can make 1000 more by rooting cuttings.

breakingpig

Seedling
Reaction score
Okay, I'll leave it as is and focus on getting it sunlight and water. I live in an apartment so don't have outdoor space, but get pretty strong sunlight throughout the day, especially in mid-late afternoon.

I've heard the bark of a serissa naturally flakes - mine's quite flaky, is there such a thing as too flaky?

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd like to also caution against over watering. It looks like both of your plants are in heavily organic nursery mix.
For the serissa, put your finger in the soil about 1/2"-1" and don't water until that is dry. Just under that region should be barely moist.
The portulacaria can go completely dry. If the leaves start wrinkling then you know it needs a good drink. You should aim to water just before this starts happening.
If you have bonsai substrate you could repot the portulacaria now, as they are pretty bullet proof.

breakingpig

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah they both came in the same mix, which for the jade has been okay so water, I just water when the leaves start wrinkling a bit.

The serissa I just came into possession of a few days ago and I'll be careful not to overwater. I'd like to repot into a proper soil mix but will wait until it's healthier to do so (hopefully it gets healthier!)

The green-ness of the bark, do you know if that's normal?

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's probably just algae.
I recently read, on this forum, that you could use a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide and a toothbrush to scrub it off if it is algae.

breakingpig

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everybody, an update: I got some advice from other members on this forum who own Serissas and one mentioned parts of the trunk look like it might be dead.. I did a little scratch test and it did seem that way. Luckily the owner of the plant store where I bought it from allowed me to return it.

I’ll stay off bonsai for now, but this is motivation to upgrade to a place with at least a balcony/patio or outdoor space!

Best I’d be able to do for now is to buy an outside balcony planter, so that any trees I did get wouldbe hanging just outside my window.

Top Bottom