Whats wrong with my elm?

RileyJFDB13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Everything was going just fine, i repoted just as buds were popping and had no issue. That was about two weeks ago. Now some of the new growth that has pushed out since then is wilting but its not always every leaf on the branch so im not sure what to do I want to be proactive with fixing this issue so i dont loose the tree.

Here are picturesIMG_5295.JPGIMG_5296.JPGIMG_5297.JPGIMG_5298.JPG

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Shade. Put it in shade. Be prepared to put it into a humidity tent if it doesn't pick up markedly in the next few days.

This is exactly what happens with too much root removal in repotting!

Leaves can emerge utilizing only the water stored in the stem xylem. After this, a tension is created (by transpiration) that would draw water from the roots. But, missing the capacity to take on enough water, one gets droopy foliage and buds failing to extend.

Your mission is to buy time - keep it from desiccating while new roots develop that can support the load. Those buds and leaves are the auxin sources that stimulate the needed root growth. In other words, reduce the water loss to transpiration --> elevate the relative humidity around the leaves.

Full recovery could take quite a while (like 4-plus weeks). Inaction/impatience will be rewarded with a dead tree.

Once it perks up again, introduce it to the normal conditions of your garden.

Or maybe it is something else - careful observation of it in shade will tell.

btw, things don't look all that alarming in your pix.

Top Bottom