What's wrong with these?

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

These are this year's seedling (JBP and JRP). Why are they all turning brown rustic color? Too wet? Too cold? Disease?

Thanks

JZ

Attachments

• IMG_20201007_175542.jpg
    IMG_20201007_175542.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 68

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hi,

These are this year's seedling (JBP and JRP). Why are they all turning brown rustic color? Too wet? Too cold? Disease?

Thanks

JZ
I am sorry but they look almost dead to me.
I have some JBP and JRP seedlings two years old and they never got this brown.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am sorry but they look almost dead to me.
I have some JBP and JRP seedlings two years old and they never got this brown.

Ya I'm thinking the same...cuz I have some that are still green...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No one can tell you why your plants died. We can only speculate.
Perhaps if you gave us more information about your cultural practices we might be able to narrow it down to probable causes.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No one can tell you why your plants died. We can only speculate.
Perhaps if you gave us more information about your cultural practices we might be able to narrow it down to probable causes.

Well they stay outside during the day..and when the temp dips under 2 celsius, they come in the garage for the night. Goes back out during the day.

They are not dried up like some of the dead seedlings I have..just kind of strange the change in color. Also, I did pull couple from the soil...the roots looks very healthy with new growth coming.

I'm still thinking it might be the cold or some other factors....who knows.

J

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Brown/Gold is bad. Purple's still got a chance. (Usually just a response to cold.) Green is better.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What species are they? I certainly wouldn't be avoiding cold temperatures this early in the fall for cold hardy pines, and even seedlings. I've had JBP and JRP seedlings, started by me in the spring, that stay outside here in N GA (not comparing my winters to yours by any means) that don't have any issues with temps falling to -10 c or even colder. Fwiw, brown color on foliage is never good... purple blue coloration could be seasonal, and species dependent.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As my winters are very mild so this is a factor I never take into account, yes, it could be.
I just don't have this experience with colder climates.
I do, I've seen red, yellow, purple. There are probably some pics in my guy_wires collection thread, somewhere around the winters.

I don't know if this direct link works, but these are some of the colors I saw in fall.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do, I've seen red, yellow, purple. There are probably some pics in my guy_wires collection thread, somewhere around the winters.

I don't know if this direct link works, but these are some of the colors I saw in fall.

I guess I will leave them till next year and see what happens.

Top Bottom