What's your dream tree?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My girlfriend got me wanting an old prunus mume, with gnarly bark. Like the almond trees that grow on the Spanish isles.
I prefer conifers, a nice big juniper with a bunch of dead wood would be nice. A bug fat scots pine without any deadwood would be nice too.
Shit.. I just virtually gave away one to a club member, 6 weeks ago. :(

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It might be a bit boring, but I'd love a really substantial japanese maple. Good, old white bark, beautiful autumn colors, amazing winter silhouette. Maybe one of these days.

So, a complete tangent, but I was curious about the way that one is potted. I know slightly off center is not abnormal, but this one feels like it's pretty far left. Is that just a method to introduce some visual tension?

The trend today is to have it a bit more centered. This one is “old school“. The reason for potting more centered is to help the roots stay even all around.

Here is a picture of the tree as it was on the cover of International Bonsai magazine in 1980:

227F9058-09CB-48BB-92E2-19A13C93B096.jpeg

When comparing the 1980 image to the current one it appears that it is more centered than it used to be.

That image of a Zelkova has been imprinted on my brain for 40 years. For me, it’s the image of a “perfect Zelkova”, and mentally, whenever I see any broom style tree, I subconsciously compare it to this one. I have yet to see a better one.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it the famous one, the one which was not for sale, not for any amount?

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
For me, one of the top on the list is a kinzu golden bean kumquat. Perfect embodiment of a fruiting bonsai- small attractive orange fruit, small leaves, and i assume fragrant white flowers like other citrus. Hard to get in the US, especially a nice one...
You might like Kei Apple as well, not sure if it is found elsewhere in the world.. I have such a hedge in my yard, so I have some seeds to trade. They make good bonsai, well here in South Africa..

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Twice.. I also saw the tree in real life. And I did not know it was in the place I was visiting. Just turned a corned and WHAM!
Earth moving tree. Have gone back there maybe 10 times over a 3 day period...
If I could love/hate this post I would. I’ve never particularly been drawn to NW America (though I bet there aren’t many more beautiful places on earth), but I think I’d try and plan my whole trip around visiting the national arboretum if I went there

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The trend today is to have it a bit more centered. This one is “old school“. The reason for potting more centered is to help the roots stay even all around.

Here is a picture of the tree as it was on the cover of International Bonsai magazine in 1980:

View attachment 320743

When comparing the 1980 image to the current one it appears that it is more centered than it used to be.

That image of a Zelkova has been imprinted on my brain for 40 years. For me, it’s the image of a “perfect Zelkova”, and mentally, whenever I see any broom style tree, I subconsciously compare it to this one. I have yet to see a better one.

Interestingly, I almost like the 1980 planting a little more, but that could just be due to the winter silhouette. Such a cool tree.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interestingly, I almost like the 1980 planting a little more, but that could just be due to the winter silhouette. Such a cool tree.
Oh, for sure the winter image is better! That’s why the big shows in Japan are in the winter. The trees look better!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am very partial to Scots pines. Dunno why, I just really love them.
I have a couple of them which I hope will be nice trees some day but they are still works in progress.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You might like Kei Apple as well, not sure if it is found elsewhere in the world.. I have such a hedge in my yard, so I have some seeds to trade. They make good bonsai, well here in South Africa..
Never heard of those, very nice. Fruit are attractive, although the petal-less flowers could be showier. I imagine they are similar to japanese quince in growth and bonsai habit?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
View attachment 320765
Species doesn't matter much to me, but I love that sturdy trunk with lingnan style contorted branching.
I also like the branching style like that tree and the bonsai that come from Taiwan. Much better than American bonsai, imo- not sure what they do differently.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the humble elms

88zOVnMr67iG38r_udO0Pct7-F9CMpJvCOo7-l0J3vm6PYkvlUmfS-oEifRmFD1EDgk5B9lSlijscw-GsUiGisoPSS4dMboNDIL7t2ah-sfLBTLSlh7M6DxFwvcn-E_gQ6icMGD-951uwLpSrQbpMKESMwTkLffbRSBPAvk5Lgzhn6GPiQdZJ6SREoQ7WBX4Ep7p07Z6xIXWF7gkB3cQNV2tH7fT9wpk7nfdyFW-bKysUDBlwS1Tjn5PKzfKqZP29lIO09S2anRYMxF_R4yxnF-qsXnwHWZkft1g55RbljV_9Z5x7jO1FVEd4qDHqeoOwAhfBMMNggGlc8YPzI-Q5YzwJ3HrkL_hP5jHErlR8hv_CfsO-vJ9PUJMJuubAFzlxfKagXTjFBoVmHue4ovXnKr4GDjjhsGNpX1flg6zs7V8Eeku2CG2nXu6hUmNgHF3OTP-FHjN_LkAPrz6C1aG3vj-gahH8wrmdGrh8gBghUxWlomt3lKoceVxGWR_KH3K2j5Z9uIMRDqcgw20NRROUhPBQIiLLuzeqbxTUltSzzYS=w800-h688-no

0.jpg

3531-1.jpg

So I don't mind having any of them :cool:

Last edited:

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Never heard of those, very nice. Fruit are attractive, although the petal-less flowers could be showier. I imagine they are similar to japanese quince in growth and bonsai habit?
I genuinely have no idea. What I can say though, they are cold and drought hardy

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In terms of species - there are two that stand out that I'd love to have.

One is a water jasmine. I'd happily take one of those monsters I've seen from growers in Vietnam. They develop great ramification, have reasonably small leaves, beautiful and very fragrant dangling white flowers. I did have a small one for a few years and while I was able to keep it alive, the foliage usually looked pretty ratty and it only bloomed once in a while. This is a tough climate for something like that without a greenhouse.

The other is a gardenia. Beautiful highly fragrant flowers and those orange/red fruits make an amazing contrast with the deep green leaves. I've tried a number of gardenias over the years but they always decline and die. Not sure if it's my water quality, too much or too little water, haven't cracked the code yet. Will most likely try again.

Several have mentioned redbud, I've had one in my growing bed for a bunch of years. It has developed a pretty impressive base and I need to dig it next spring and deal with the roots. Might already be too large for my aging back, we'll see.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I also like the branching style like that tree and the bonsai that come from Taiwan. Much better than American bonsai, imo- not sure what they do differently.
What they do differently is have a 12 month growing season haha. The method used in Southern Asia is called "clip and grow". Cutting back to one "cun" (3cms?) and regrowing gives trees great angle changes with perfect taper. It can be done anywhere in the world I suppose but it lends itself to areas where trees grow perpetually. I will be experimenting on Dawn redwood, chinese elm, and zelkova since they grow all season in my climate but it's going to take me three times longer than it would for someone in the tropics to develop anything.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In terms of species - there are two that stand out that I'd love to have.

One is a water jasmine. I'd happily take one of those monsters I've seen from growers in Vietnam. They develop great ramification, have reasonably small leaves, beautiful and very fragrant dangling white flowers. I did have a small one for a few years and while I was able to keep it alive, the foliage usually looked pretty ratty and it only bloomed once in a while. This is a tough climate for something like that without a greenhouse.

The other is a gardenia. Beautiful highly fragrant flowers and those orange/red fruits make an amazing contrast with the deep green leaves. I've tried a number of gardenias over the years but they always decline and die. Not sure if it's my water quality, too much or too little water, haven't cracked the code yet. Will most likely try again.

Several have mentioned redbud, I've had one in my growing bed for a bunch of years. It has developed a pretty impressive base and I need to dig it next spring and deal with the roots. Might already be too large for my aging back, we'll see.
You just missed a really nice big water jasmine on the FB auctions. One of the biggest trunks I've seen in the US for wj, anyway

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You just missed a really nice big water jasmine on the FB auctions. One of the biggest trunks I've seen in the US for wj, anyway
Is it still up or has the listing been deleted by now? Looked through the auction sites and didn't see it.

I probably wouldn't buy another one unless I got a greenhouse.

Top Bottom