What's your dream tree?

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I prefer pines for the most part. But, for some reason I also like broom style Zelkova. You just don’t see many. Here’s one I’ve admired over the years:

View attachment 320720
I love these too even though it always bugs me how they are planted off center. The symmetry is what I love about them and I always think they should be centered. I know it is a no-no, just doesn't fit the tree in this case.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
A monster, well ramified, Japanese Beech. I love them and I have never seen one in person so it is the elusiveness that makes it so enticing. Mach5s forest would be up there. I would be happy to just have a seedling or two but you can't find them. Ezo Spruce would be a close 2nd. I have several seedlings I grew but I don't believe anything grows slower. 5 years in they are no more than a tiny stick. Also have a dream of a cork bark pine on its own roots. Have tried a couple of times with no success.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few really nice yamadori Pacific Yew that I have located and been dreaming of them on my bench. I have collected a few small yew, but haven't found the cahones to tackle these bigger specimens. In the dreams I always have help collecting. Lol! Dream on!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A monster, well ramified, Japanese Beech. I love them and I have never seen one in person so it is the elusiveness that makes it so enticing. Mach5s forest would be up there. I would be happy to just have a seedling or two but you can't find them. Ezo Spruce would be a close 2nd. I have several seedlings I grew but I don't believe anything grows slower. 5 years in they are no more than a tiny stick. Also have a dream of a cork bark pine on its own roots. Have tried a couple of times with no success.

Here’s an Ezo Spruce that I haven’t styled yet. I’m planning on putting it on a rock or slab.

F28C097D-18BB-406B-A33B-B01D7EF55CD5.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love these too even though it always bugs me how they are planted off center. The symmetry is what I love about them and I always think they should be centered. I know it is a no-no, just doesn't fit the tree in this case.
Planting it off center creates an uneven triangle with some negative space. Too far on one side looks funny, I agree.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah my dream tree has always been one of the African acacias. A big gnarly old Monkey/Black monkey thorn, Camel thorn, Paperbark, Knob thorn, Ana tree, Blue hook, Three thorn, Fever tree...the list goes on. Don't matter which...just a big old African acacia that is grown in it's natural style.
Anyone of these will do me.

Screenshot_20200805-202858~2.png
I have quite a few trees that i'm trying to grow in the umbrella style...not easy.
LoL, that used to be the first style I considered when I contemplated the styling of any tree. I'm getting better lately though...I discovered there is other styles to 😂

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ah my dream tree has always been one of the African acacias. A big gnarly old Monkey/Black monkey thorn, Camel thorn, Paperbark, Knob thorn, Ana tree, Blue hook, Three thorn, Fever tree...the list goes on. Don't matter which...just a big old African acacia that is grown in it's natural style.
Anyone of these will do me.

View attachment 320967
I have quite a few trees that i'm trying to grow in the umbrella style...not easy.
LoL, that used to be the first style I considered when I contemplated the styling of any tree. I'm getting better lately though...I discovered there is other styles to 😂
Same here. Let me know if you need seed, I have collected some camel thorns (via family in the Kalahari) Sweet thorn grows like weed here, there are paperbarks and fever trees here that I am watching for seeds.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same here. Let me know if you need seed, I have collected some camel thorns (via family in the Kalahari) Sweet thorn grows like weed here, there are paperbarks and fever trees here that I am watching for seeds.
Ah I would love to bru. I can't import those into NZ. All I can bring in is karoo and fever tree...and I have those. Got them from a seed distrubuter in Cape Town.

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ah I would love to bru. I can't import those into NZ. All I can bring in is karoo and fever tree...and I have those. Got them from a seed distrubuter in Cape Town.
Camel thorns? I also have some other ones, that they sent me without a name and anything other than "it grows abundantly here and is similar to camel thorn" - I guess it's bastard camelthorn?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
this is a dream tree. No idea who's it is, but looks like a shishigashira

Attachments

• 20200805_173830.jpg
    20200805_173830.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom