What's your favorite Bonsai book?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see a lot of tree specific books, but can you recommend a bonsai handbook or a bible? Video suggestions or websites are also welcome. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
+1 for Principles of Bonsai Design by DeGroot. Harry Harringtons Inspiration 1 & 2 books which follow many really nicely documented progressions of trees, and the hows and whys of what he did along the way; and photo books from shows like the Kokufu or the US Nationals which are great for studying design and see how they break "the rules" and look fantastic doing it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lots of good suggestions here but honestly I don't have a favorite bonsai book. I buy what is affordable ..... and available.
Picking a favorite book is like picking a favorite ice cream flavor. It will change from time to time and you have to try as many as you can.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Or this one. The ABS has a store of this spiral bound after market printing they've sponsored. Available in their online store on the website. Don't recall the exact price, but it was very reasonable.
View attachment 461811
What's the "ABS" ? Anti-lock braking system? Adult Book Store? American Bonsai Society? Can you post a link to it?
I saw that first edition for $200 (on amazon), I've never owned a two hundred dollar book before & I'm not sure I'm going to.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What's the "ABS" ? Anti-lock braking system? Adult Book Store? American Bonsai Society? Can you post a link to it?
I saw that first edition for $200 (on amazon), I've never owned a two hundred dollar book before & I'm not sure I'm going to.
American Bonsai Society. Here's the link to their bookstore. Some great offerings, curated for practical learning.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
American Bonsai Society. Here's the link to their bookstore. Some great offerings, curated for practical learning.
Thanks! $16 bucks is much better. :)

Top Bottom