What's your favorite Bonsai book?

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Bonsai Survival Manuel by Colin Lewis was the first book I bought when I started out.
That was my second book and got me hooked before I was 10 years old. I used to read that book along with “The Bonsai Workshop” by Gustafson from cover to cover when I was home sick from school

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would have said the current version available which I believe is the red/brown second one you posted as it is the most up to date version.
I own all 3 lol
I purchased the first one as you probably already saw, but I have two on the way which should keep me busy for awhile. Besides any edition is going to help for me. :)

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai from the wild . Nick Lenz . A book I no longer have Loaned and never returned . There are lots of great books . Especially on design . And this being my second round of bonsai I really like the . The amount of more in-depth . Books on specific species and or technique. I think it shows level of growth in the obsession. In the west . But bonsai from the wild . Is no 1 for its dramatic effect on myself . For what was possible with native material . At a very early point in my journey. Changing my outlook . From a Japanese tree in a Japanese pot to the wide world of bonsai that is today

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
DA40A359-3638-45A7-93B1-C56AF2190973.jpeg
F9C4F042-851B-4F30-8EA3-148EC9214C3A.jpeg
These books and my own notes for current trees , future needs , projects , cost of materials and pots etc .. budgeting too and some design sketches / future garden ideas. I love collecting books besides bonsai / pot collecting and trying to expand my bonsai book collection trying to find Kokufu or Gafuten etc books for a good price as well as older Japanese bonsai books , I love books with dust covers and old binding , I know how to repair bindings

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 468105
View attachment 468106
These books and my own notes for current trees , future needs , projects , cost of materials and pots etc .. budgeting too and some design sketches / future garden ideas. I love collecting books besides bonsai / pot collecting and trying to expand my bonsai book collection trying to find Kokufu or Gafuten etc books for a good price as well as older Japanese bonsai books , I love books with dust covers and old binding , I know how to repair bindings
Where I grew up rural Ontario Canada . There was a old guy near by that lived alone . In a small house hardly went anywhere . Sat on his porch often reading a book . And smoking a pipe . Was interesting to talk to when I was a kid seemed to have a great knowledge . Especially about the history of Europe and England . Most people just thought well he is a old English guy . Not much money nothing to do but read his books . When he died they found several million dollars of rare . Books . In his house . Sone very old stuff . Religious texts in Latin . History of warfare in Europe wrote in the 17 and 18 centuries

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Where I grew up rural Ontario Canada . There was a old guy near by that lived alone . In a small house hardly went anywhere . Sat on his porch often reading a book . And smoking a pipe . Was interesting to talk to when I was a kid seemed to have a great knowledge . Especially about the history of Europe and England . Most people just thought well he is a old English guy . Not much money nothing to do but read his books . When he died they found several million dollars of rare . Books . In his house . Sone very old stuff . Religious texts in Latin . History of warfare in Europe wrote in the 17 and 18 centuries
I want to be THAT guy when I grow up.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I saw that first edition for $200 (on amazon), I've never owned a two hundred dollar book before & I'm not sure I'm going to.

Cheaper than most textbooks. I’d rather spend $200 on a neat old bonsai book than $400 on the new edition of the same textbook I bought used for $300 the prior semester.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 468105
View attachment 468106
Who's the author of "The Art of the Japanese Garden"?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve got lots of books, 50+, dunno which one is the best. Yet if I was to buy a good starter book that would be a long lasting quick reference of basic to advanced techniques, for all but azalea bonsai. I’d recommend it would be:

Understanding Bonsai by Pieter Loubser. He actually wrote two. The one I have is 1993 version. It’s running about $32 on Amazon. It’s comprehensive and covers a multitude of techniques succinctl, some not seen together in one book.

FBA909F6-8ED6-4622-9BB8-004274A9E150.jpeg

For azaleas there isn’t a really one good overall book imho, even the very newest ones leave something to be desired to give one a good handle on these trees. Yet there are a couple I highly recommend together for folks starting off for the first 1 - 4 years. These are:

Floral Treasures of Japan by Alexander Kennedy a good basic book. It’s on Amazon for about $25. (Last year and a half there was a shortage of available copies and the price jacked up to $125 +…. No longer!
FEAFB376-3475-4F22-BB92-E12B875A39E8.jpeg
…and Satsuki Bonsai by Janine Droste. About $40. Lots of photos, writing is spare and to the point.
00735E82-075B-4D66-96D5-3DA1732D1180.jpeg

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cheaper than most textbooks. I’d rather spend $200 on a neat old bonsai book than $400 on the new edition of the same textbook I bought used for $300 the prior semester.
Textbooks at college are insanely priced. Forgive me I'm having flashbacks to my wife paying $1200 for 3 textbooks for one course. Books that she'll never use again. Highway robbery I tell ya. :)

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai from the wild . Nick Lenz . A book I no longer have Loaned and never returned . There are lots of great books . Especially on design . And this being my second round of bonsai I really like the . The amount of more in-depth . Books on specific species and or technique. I think it shows level of growth in the obsession. In the west . But bonsai from the wild . Is no 1 for its dramatic effect on myself . For what was possible with native material . At a very early point in my journey. Changing my outlook . From a Japanese tree in a Japanese pot to the wide world of bonsai that is today
A book I would like to own. Bonsai heresy is great. The art of growing miniature trees- Peter Chan , was decent as well. Those are two cheaper options. Bonsai from the wild is not cheap

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Textbooks at college are insanely priced. Forgive me I'm having flashbacks to my wife paying $1200 for 3 textbooks for one course. Books that she'll never use again. Highway robbery I tell ya. :)

At the risk of veering too far off topic, I took a two-part course over two consecutive semesters, and the professor used the textbook he wrote. 🤮 Worse still, he published a new edition of the same book between semesters and made us buy the new edition of a book we already owned. He owns the rights to the book. He could have sent us a PDF with the few new chapters for free, but we all had to buy brand new copies of the book for well over $400.

He’s the Dean, and he‘s the kind of guy who goes out for lunch with Clarence Thomas, so he can do whatever he wants.

Last edited:
Top Bottom