What's your method of Watering?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just curious how everyone goes about delivering the goods.

Anyone use Automatic irrigation systems?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just a water hose with a sprayer attached. I have a two gallon plastic watering can I use when applying liquid fertilizer. Using the can every watering would get annoying, and I don't even have that many plants.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hose with a masakuni wand attachment. I water over 100 potted trees each day, 3/4 in bonsai pots and some very large...takes 10 minutes when I'm in a hurry or an hour when I'm not:cool:.

jaholmes

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use a similar method to KennedyMarx -- garden hose with "Joshua Roth Watering Wand" attached. And, when necessary, a 2 gallon watering can to apply liquid fertilizer. I'm looking into getting some misting irrigation to use for cutting propagation, but could also double to water plants while I am away.

sbarnhardt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I use a hose with a spray nozzle and, at times, a small handheld watering can with a tapered spout. Of course, until I got these JBP seedlings, I didn't have all that much to water.

While we're on the subject of watering, let me throw this out. While I can certainly roll the hose out each time I water, I've been trying to come up with something that would hold a few gallons of water, could be rolled around, and had a self contained pump preferably something manual. That way, I could fill up the tank, roll it around, and water without having to re-roll that danged hose, which I hate to do. There are commercially available set ups like this, but they are way expensive. I'm trying to "rig" something. Anything you've seen, or suggestions you might have I'd like to hear them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Currently, I'm using a 2 gallon watering can which works fine with the amount of stock I have. Also, I'm beginning to find out that my 2 colander's growing JBP and Shimpaku are nearly completely dried out in about 5 hours with temperatures only in the low low 80s. In late July I will be away for around 20 days. I'm looking into buying/building an automatic watering system for days when I can't water more then once or away for days. Some of the reviews of the automatic timers worry me a little though, and it would be great to have the peace of mind that I know something is guaranteed to work.

Thoughts?

twarawa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2A
I use a hose with a spray nozzle and, at times, a small handheld watering can with a tapered spout. Of course, until I got these JBP seedlings, I didn't have all that much to water.

While we're on the subject of watering, let me throw this out. While I can certainly roll the hose out each time I water, I've been trying to come up with something that would hold a few gallons of water, could be rolled around, and had a self contained pump preferably something manual. That way, I could fill up the tank, roll it around, and water without having to re-roll that danged hose, which I hate to do. There are commercially available set ups like this, but they are way expensive. I'm trying to "rig" something. Anything you've seen, or suggestions you might have I'd like to hear them.

I just bought a hose reel that is 100' long and retracts by itself. I hated coiling up hoses too. I got mine at Canadian Tire which I know only helps out about 2 percent of the sites users but here is a link to the manufacturers site. It was about $200.

http://www.gardena.com/ca/en/water-...all-mounted-hose-box-35-roll-up-automatic-li/

Tyler

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been trying to come up with something that would hold a few gallons of water, could be rolled around, and had a self contained pump preferably something manual. That way, I could fill up the tank, roll it around, and water without having to re-roll that danged hose, which I hate to do. There are commercially available set ups like this, but they are way expensive. .

Not all that expensive... I use a Rural King 9 gallon tank sprayer, it has battery that lasts long on one charge, and the wand is great. I had to extend the hose, easy to do, and it takes me half the time as can watering did, as I use rainwater to do it when I can water by hand, and not use the auto water system I have. I did replace the pump after a year, but it was only $30 to get a better one. Love it, recommend it highly. Liquid fert in with each tank...
I'll link if you want one...

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just bought a hose reel that is 100' long and retracts by itself. I hated coiling up hoses too. I got mine at Canadian Tire which I know only helps out about 2 percent of the sites users but here is a link to the manufacturers site. It was about $200.

http://www.gardena.com/ca/en/water-...all-mounted-hose-box-35-roll-up-automatic-li/

Tyler

Bonsai in Wainwright?? Now we're getting to the far reaches of the globe eh? Awesome!

I use a fogging nozzle on the end of a hose, I think anyone watering by hose should try it out, I find watering with anything else disturbing.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10371&cat=2,33160&ap=3

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anyone use Automatic irrigation systems?

I do have an auto watering system when I am not able to water by hand. When I water by hand I have a 9 gallon tank sprayer that has a battery. We are on a well, so I collect rainwater for when I hand water, but I have a nice auto system built into my arbors, that are above the trees to water when we are away, or when I'm just too busy...
Here is a thread that has some info on my auto watering system, I know I have more, so if you are interested, just tell me and I'll post it too.
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?11375-New-bench-areas

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hose and dollar store wand. 1 gallon old tea jug for fertilizer. I'm a cheapskate and this stuff works great.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I catch rainwater in a 55 gal drum and dispense into 5 gal buckets. Then I add liquid fert concentrate and fill my watering can from that.
When I will be away for an extended period, I move all my trees to under a large landscape maple and setup a sprinkler on timer. It has worked well for 10 years now.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I catch rainwater in a 55 gal drum and dispense into 5 gal buckets. Then I add liquid fert concentrate and fill my watering can from that.
When I will be away for an extended period, I move all my trees to under a large landscape maple and setup a sprinkler on timer. It has worked well for 10 years now.

Lordy, what sprinkler are you using? I'm about to go vacation and the spray of the sprinkler I bought is too wide.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Just a word of caution for those who use a spray wand off a length of hose. If the hose is exposed to any length of time in the sun, the initial water used to water your beloved bonsai can be super heated. so each time you go to water be sure and run the hose off somewhere other then on your trees for the first 15 seconds or so. Then stick your hand in the spray to insure the water is cool and the hot super heated stuff has safely passed. :)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a sprinkler for my garden set on a timer that gets a couple of my trees twice a day. I only let the ones that have had issues drying out get the spray from the sprinkler, and water supplementally on my own when they need it or when I am fertilizing with liquid stuff (rarely)...

Mostly I use a hose and traditionally I use my trusty old reliable THUMB to create a spray to water the trees. I can vary the spray from very fine to very heavy depending on the size and needs of the tree, can hit spots from a long distance away without walking all over the yard... Never had an issue doing it that way. If you spray too hard you can wash soil out of the pots sometimes, but I don't normally have that issue if I am taking my time.

I also use watering cans when needed for fertilizing or to hit a few trees I keep up on the porch that are hard to get to with the hose. Just this weekend I bought a watering wand at a yard sale for one dollar just to try it out, and I like it OK. It doesn't have it's own shut off valve which is kind of a pain, but for a dollar... The benefit is it waters the trees HEAVILY very quickly, where as when spraying by hand I might have to water a tree for a little while to flood it out and fully saturate it, my wand does it in about 2 seconds... This can also be a detriment too though as there is not adjusting the spray, and it can wash soil off a tree sometimes. I also have to walk all over and get up close to the trees to water them with the wand, vs standing in one spot and spraying stuff within a wide radius when using my thumb... That is only really a pain because I am using an old hose that is a little stiff now and starting to kink in the same place all the time... Obviously I need a new hose I guess...

So, basically I use a combination of all methods mentioned above. I have found some trees do better with different applications. Some trees have too full of a canopy to water easily with the hose, and need to get watered from a can or the wand. Some have lose soil on top that washes off easily and really only a fine sprayed watering can is effective. Some like their leaves to get really wet, and some don't... So, I have to vary up my techniques.

When away on vacation, they all get moved to within range of my sprinkler and watered on a timer. It won't hurt your trees to get watered on a timer for a couple days/ weeks even. No matter what you may have read, they WILL be fine as long as they get watered. While away, I error on the side of over watering! If you are going away for a LONG time, well you shouldn't be keeping Bonsai if you plan to go away for months at a time honestly... The two just do not go hand in hand. But if you must be gone for more than a couple weeks, or have too many trees to use an automated system... Up you better get someone to water them for you!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I use bore hole water...very hard KH 170 and GH 200 and PH 8.5.
So I have a separate tank where I add acid. 130ml hydrochloric acid with every watering. it is filled from my koi pond, by a hose pipe attached to the filter pumps..
Fertilizer is added there also. It is on a 5m stand so water is fed by gravity.

JoesBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
In Summer I use a sprinkler system & winter I water by hand, on both methods I use a water filter to remove chlorine .

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 42

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use these...
http://www.amazon.com/Water-Right-P...XA96/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1401722210&sr=8-8 (works great and have been in use for 2.5 years w/o any problem)

http://costcocouple.com/orbit-heavy-duty-watering-set/ (wonderful value and the couplers makes changing so fast! :eek: )

http://www.amazon.com/Dramm-12353-H...QAQY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401722297&sr=8-2 (just makes it super easy to shut off water when needed)

http://www.amazon.com/Jacks-Classic...BF1Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401722361&sr=8-2 (what I use to deliver water soluble fertilizer)

http://www.amazon.com/V134G-Slimcan...BM/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1401722450&sr=8-14 (Love this Haws watering can but is has not been used for more than a year since I had my hose set-up)

I am installing my automatic irrigation system soon but will only be used when I am on vacation.

Top Bottom