Whats your Username Origin or meaning?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Some several years ago, my younger brother was the warden of a maximum security prison. In the US prison system, new arrivals are often referred to as ‘fresh fish’. When he went to a conference, a colleague from Japan told him that over there, the same new arrivals are referred to as ‘shinmai’, which literally translates to ‘new rice’. The expression more commonly refers to a novice, or beginning student, or one who has just begun a journey—all of which seemed appropriate when I embarked on trying to understand bonsai.

Rhomer1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In the 80's we had a VW Westphalia camper. Wanted vanity plates Rhome but is was taken. So Rhomer (roamer) took shape. We now have a 99VW Eurovan camper but didn't use the plates for it. So I use Rhomer1 as my user name.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Seems like I would have posted here already, but the machine says otherwise.🤷

Back in highschool I was more the quiet shy type, but still made friends easily enough. After freshman year it became a running gag amongst us that all I did was silently follow everyone else around, except when I was busy silently following someone else around.

The obvious nickname of Shadow came up, and by the end of my sophomore year that might as well have been my real name the way people used it.
Actually, there was a shortlived relationship with a girl named Misty, and I don't think she ever learned my real name. Friends would show up at the house asking my mom if Shadow was home. By my the end of junior year I was introducing myself that way since that's how the whole school knew me; a habit that lasted until I was 20. My best friends I've known since highschool STILL use it sometimes, and their kids call me Unkle Shadow. Run into old acquaintances from younger days, and that's the only name they remember.

Anyways, it's been variations on that theme for almost every email address or username I've had since.
The stump thing is just my arbor-centric romanticizing. The notion that a mere stump could be a source of comfort. Kind of a Giving Tree thing. (WHY do I not have more Shel Silverstein books for the kids? Epic dad fail!🤦)

Top Bottom