When bring trees out of Garage?

CovertNeo

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Anyone around Southwest (Blacksburg) Virginia, or USDA Zone 6b give me some advice on this one? This is the first winter I've owned some deciduous bonsai trees. They have some buds and a few have started to pop out as well. I'm guessing it's probably time to bring my trees out for sunshine starting this week, and putting them back into the garage if the weather threatens to drop too low (around 0 Celsius).

What indicator do I use to bring my trees out of dormancy? Average daily temperature over 10 Celsius? Buds leafing out?

As a side, I am heading out of town this Wednesday until next Monday morning. Should I leaved them wintered until I get back, or should I put them out and water them on a timer, risking it getting too cold outside while I'm gone? Tips?

Thanks for anyones help on this one!

Seth

CovertNeo

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Attached is our weather forecast through next Monday when I'll be home to better tend to my trees. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Blacksburg__VA__24060__10-Day_Weather_Forecast_-_The_Weather_Channel___Weather_com.jpg
    Blacksburg__VA__24060__10-Day_Weather_Forecast_-_The_Weather_Channel___Weather_com.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 21

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@CovertNeo If your buds are leafing out, that's your indicator your tree is waking up, you don't wake it up. My maples are waking up too. I'm in northern Virginia and I've put the trees into the tool shed when the snow came (I only put the trees that leafed out). All my deciduous trees have been sitting out the entire time under the bench. You're in the safe zone to keep your trees out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ol boy from down there said it was gonna be 22F there soon....maybe that 24F night?

If that's the only one I'd put em out!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@CovertNeo If your buds are leafing out, that's your indicator your tree is waking up, you don't wake it up. My maples are waking up too. I'm in northern Virginia and I've put the trees into the tool shed when the snow came (I only put the trees that leafed out). All my deciduous trees have been sitting out the entire time under the bench. You're in the safe zone to keep your trees out.

My only pondering is...if you wintered yours under a bench all winter. They are acclimated...his being sheltered...may not be as tolerant of winds. Tender leafs and all. Hypothetical speaking...

I would do the bonsai two step on those couple evenings where it's below 35F. And if any have had a recent repotting protect those roots from freezing.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Cadillactaste yeah i was a bit worried about that too. I was just assuming that OP's garage would be the unheated kind. But even with that at least if it dips below 30, it protects the tree from the crazy winds we've been experiencing as of late. All I can say is, if OP does the two step shuffle, I hope there aren't a lot haha.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
My temps are pretty close to you and all but my tree's have leafed out. I've been playing the bonsai shuffle. Any time the temps are above 45 they go out, any time under they come in. It sucks moving 60 odd tree's but I'd rather be safe then sorry. These two days that it's going to freeze they all come inside the house, not inside the garage, When leafing out you want to protect the fragile new growth.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
50°+ today, tomorrow night 10°....all Amurs, JMs, and a Crabapple leafed out...Cherries just about to blossom. They need sun so can't stay in garage, so dance I must...it's a throwback to 80's..."the Safety Dance"...

Top Bottom