When can I clean and prune this ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So this summer I picked up this Shinpaku Juniper for $27 . I want to grow cuttings from it also . I want to clean and prune out the bad branches and foliage . Can I do it now or when should I wait to do it ?

Attachments

• 2041F5DB-36F1-4890-A4B5-A9BCC3D3AB2E.jpeg
    2041F5DB-36F1-4890-A4B5-A9BCC3D3AB2E.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 74

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
That’s a good find right there. People have had success taking cuttings year round on here. I have my best success in early spring. Almost could air layer some of those branches

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
That’s a good find right there. People have had success taking cuttings year round on here. I have my best success in early spring. Almost could air layer some of those branches
I want to wire it all crazy with movement in hopes of better stock in 5+ years . Do branches I don’t need I can air layer those also . I do have a Kishu shinpaku that I can air layer that has a bend in it with top growth . So yeah I can maybe do that .

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So this summer I picked up this Shinpaku Juniper for $27 . I want to grow cuttings from it also . I want to clean and prune out the bad branches and foliage . Can I do it now or when should I wait to do it ?

You can do some now but I wouldn't remove more than 25 to 30% of the foliage. You can wire it in October

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Wiring and bending after the growth has slowed. Branches sometimes die after bending while the sap is flowing strongly. I would think it is late enough in the season to bend juniper safely by now.
No problem pruning at any time of year. Plants have adapted to being eaten and broken by storms all through the year so they can regrow after pruning any time.
Some cuttings taken now may root before winter but a lot will not root until spring. Juniper cuttings can take up to 18 months to root.

I've been trialing wiring and bending tender long runners on shimpaku then layering them off afterwards. That way if the wiring kills them (and it sometimes does) I haven't lost a plant or wasted the time getting cuttings to root. I can get much tighter bends on thinner, softer shoots than on woodier stems.
It is almost spring down here and I removed a couple of these layers today because the parent tree was getting top heavy.
Shimpaku with 2 layers
IMGP4188.JPG

layer #1 has a single root but that's enough to keep it alive while more grow.
IMGP4189.JPGIMGP4190.JPG

Layer #2 has 2 stronger roots. Removing it from the parent now will make it concentrate on more roots quick.
IMGP4191.JPG

The parent tree after removing the layers and shortening the sacrifice branches. Well over 1/2 of the foliage has been removed today and from experience I expect it to grow well now.
IMGP4192.JPG
I'll be working on pushing foliage back and getting dense pads on the branches this summer and maybe some initial work on shari on the trunk.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wiring and bending after the growth has slowed. Branches sometimes die after bending while the sap is flowing strongly. I would think it is late enough in the season to bend juniper safely by now.

The OP is in New Jersey. We still get decent growth on juniper in late August and September after the really hot summer days cool off.
So it's too early to wire now.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
The OP is in New Jersey. We still get decent growth on juniper in late August and September after the really hot summer days cool off.
So it's too early to wire now.
I’m probably going to wire in December/ January. Just gonna prune all of the bad branches now and keep the Healthy ones . Just a clean up

Top Bottom