When can I slip pot a Chinese Elm

Maple boy

Seedling
Reaction score
When can I slip pot a Chinese Elm in Chicago, have a nice pot for it and ended up too busy early spring to do it.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My basic knowledge says early springtime but slip potting doesn't seem to be crazy stressful from what I've learned.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I slip potted mine a few weeks ago, didn't miss a beat. Before the barrage hits, most will say slip potting is not great. And it usually isn't, but for young seedlings that are going to have their roots trimmed back 90% later on, I think it has its place. If this is a prebonsai or more finished tree I would just wait until spring and do it right. Otherwise you'll have circling root inception. A mess within a mess

Maple boy

Seedling
Reaction score
Since it’s in the 90’s in Chicago now, probably should wait. Ugh just don’t want this pot to get broken, but don’t want to harm the tree either.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Slip potting is a waste of time.

Don't fear the Heat.

Though right now isn't really the best time, it's a little late in the Waning moon phase, and things seem to be entering a dormancy.

August's full moon may be the best next time.

Don't fear the heat.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No worries it will get broken before it gets used.
You have no where to put the pot before it's intended use? I've TONS of pots not in use...and they all are up.

Personally, I'm in the repot at right time than slip pot. That's just me. I prefer proper root work with a repot. If your pot is smaller than the pot it currently in...then you will be reducing possibly roots. It is no longer a slip pot if roots are cut off. That's my take...

Dead tree in a pretty pot...does no one any good. *That's my motto...

Top Bottom