When did you consider yourself no longer a Newbie?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Was it a timeframe?

Was it a specific attained goal in the world of Bonsai?

Was it when you got your first "from scratch" tree to what can be called Refinement Stage?

Was it when a certain level of horticultural knowledge was gained?

After 5 years of attempting, and only one tree from scratch that may be ready for a pot within a year....I feel like I'm no longer new, certainly.
But I feel like the more I know the more questions I have.....and the more I look at my trees the more problems I see.

When I think about my accomplishments in Bonsai (which are greatly outweighed by the failures) I think about my collected Hornbeam, all going to plan so far, over 2 years in with it.
I think about my BR'd and HBR'd junipers, minus tip blight on one, all is going to plan so far, a few years in with them.

This year's biggest battle seems to be fungal attacks on my pine and junipers....and maples.
Been trying to spray and stay on top of it.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Maybe its when you get to that point where there's nothing left to learn.... is that even possible in bonsai?
I've had my thumb in bonsai for over 12 years... and I feel I'm still in the noob bracket........... though I am learning!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The reason the general consensus is that America Stagnates.....

Is because there are only 2 types of people.

Noobs.

And people that swear they know everything dragging noobs with them down the dead end path that is "doing first year bonsai for 40".

The internet has amplified the problem.

He who sees that everything works and everything doesn't, is the one learning most.

LifeNoob.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I never feel like a beginner when I am talking or typing about bonsai, I often feel like a beginner when I am alone with my trees, and looking honestly at them. For as long as I have been doing this, my trees should look better than they do. Sigh.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Newbie time frame, hm-mmm...to every new piece coming in on my bench... I am a newbie to a degree. I've just had two new species basically added I'm unfamilar with. I'm learning them. Each species has quirks that one needs to know. Do they handle root work aggressively? Do you have to go easier on them for they don't like root work? Full sun, morning sun...each tree species has it's own set of rules to a degree. Horticultural speaking...If you can't figure that out...you won't succeed. I can't treat all the trees on my bench the same...it doesn't work that way.

I'm still learning...to up my game. I'm not sure I can answer your question to be honest...I've grown in seven years. I've had ones think higher of me than myself. *As well as ones surely just as pointedly, do not like me at all. I clearly see myself as a backyard hobbiest, I'm comfortable with that classification...Where a few think of me as a bonsai artist, I don't classify myself as such. I have had a few long conversations on that topic, being told I need to see myself as such...I do know that at the end of the day, I'm "plain vanilla"...I like that phrase. Because...I don't put on airs...I offer what advice I do know...and have had experience with. I've helped a lot of people with basics...I believe in allowing everyone to come into their own on their journey...I certainly don't wish to be a stumbling block put in their path. I love this hobby of ours...and I truly wish to see everyone succeed and love this hobby of ours as I do.

I am blown away at the time given of themselves, by respected senior bonsai people take with sharing their knowledge with us...They for the most part...are humble beyond belief, as they share their knowledge. I'm drawn to those souls. Who have such a passion for the hobby, they want to encourage ones to have that same passion. In the same sense...can do so leading with teaching...and not making one feel like the doo-doo someone just stepped in. For senior, members...that I don't speak to on a more daily routine like on the forum where I cut my teeth here or in messenger. I can't seem to call them by their given name. I find it...disrespectful. That's just me...I'm honored they share their knowledge with me...Even though I've been in this seven years. I'm still humbled with that knowlege gained by ones of their caliper. Was passed along to me...me...just some country gal...living in a rural cow town. Tinkering in her backyard...enjoying the progression as time passes. I think I can offer solid advice, and it be seen as such. So maybe not quite the newbie...but a backyard hobbiest. I will be forever learning...until I take my last breath.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene, there is nothing plain about vanilla and I suspect there is nothing plain about you either.
You are to kind...I'm a Scottish Irish, stubborn redhead. But, for the most part, plain vanilla...until pushed to far.

giphy.gif ~Enjoy your journey...

Arnold_K

Shohin
Reaction score
Hum, an interesting question that is ...

Well, I would say that ,
I consider myself (after beeing into bonsai since 1995) a newbie after all ...

It all comes down to what you call advanced or newbie and what is your aim in Bonsai basically.

Buta being not a newbie (for me and thus strikly imho) is in some kind "the end of a beautiful road" as well ...
And under that sense, I will never be a master ore something like that.
Did I something wrong?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I never feel like a beginner when I am talking or typing about bonsai, I often feel like a beginner when I am alone with my trees, and looking honestly at them. For as long as I have been doing this, my trees should look better than they do. Sigh.
Amen to this

Acer palNATEum

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I think the idea of being a newbie is relative and fluid.

When I speak with my teacher or many of the seasoned practitioners here and in my club I feel like a noob.
When I speak with my collecting friends whom have been doing this about the same amount of time as me...I feel adequate to below average.
When I speak with new members of our club or perennially beginners in our club I feel like an intermediate.
When I speak with neighbors and family that do not do bonsai I feel advanced.

One thing is certain though...I never feel like a master, no matter whom I am speaking with. Maybe the point where you can consider yourself a master is the first time you shed your newbie skin. In another lifetime I will let you know.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hum, an interesting question that is ...

Well, I would say that ,
I consider myself (after beeing into bonsai since 1995) a newbie after all ...

It all comes down to what you call advanced or newbie and what is your aim in Bonsai basically.

Buta being not a newbie (for me and thus strikly imho) is in some kind "the end of a beautiful road" as well ...
And under that sense, I will never be a master ore something like that.
Did I something wrong?
Well said Arnie!

Reaction score
Technically, I have successfully repoted, trimed, defoliated, grown, trimmed roots, wired, grafted, etc. My trees are, for the most part, healthy. So I believe I already grasped the basics. What I need now is time to develop my trees and the artistic part of the hobby

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with Gustavo (above).
I seized feeling like a noob when I realised I knew (and done) enough of the basics. LoL, my trees also reflects that....they all are in different stages of noobness.
Most however, are at that stage that they're ready and waiting for me to start developing them.
Guess i'm a reasonable confident grower now...but a noob at development ;)

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
For me, it was into my third year or therabouts. When I had gone through a couple of repotting seasons, dug several trees and had them survive and flourish, and had a feel for what the tree might do if I pruned it, I didn't feel like a newbie anymore. Still a LOT to learn, though. I still have to learn what to do with a new species, but a lot of bonsai knowledge transfers between species.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Well in that case...where’s the intermediate tree thread? 😁

I think once you can understand and demonstrate all the basic concepts or techniques you are past being a noob. Take a glossary section in a bonsai book. If you can go down the list and have the ability to use or apply the various definitions you are no longer a noob. There’s a difference between being a beginner and being an ongoing student. I, for example, could go down a list and understand the terms, but not necessarily put them all in to practice or know when is the right time. That is not to say that you should know everything without reference, but that you can apply basic technique across the board. Repeat for both coniferous and deciduous.

That and a few seasonal cycles of consistent care.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
for me its pretty cut and dry. if you still have to ask for permission, you are still a newbie. when do i repot this, when can i chop that, when can i cut this, how do i style this, what would you do with this, would you buy this, should i put this in the ground or should it go in a pot, should i mist this, etc etc are all newbie questions imo.

Top Bottom