When did you consider yourself no longer a Newbie?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well in that case...where’s the intermediate tree thread? 😁

Exactly. Your next thread in waiting @just.wing.it
When are you an intermediate...
It's like any hobby. Some go with the flow and just enjoy the ride. Others take it much more serious. To others it becomes an obsession.
Each to it's own...and at it's own pace.
Stying I feel is a different beast. Those that are artistically inclined has a huge advantage.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Exactly. Your next thread in waiting @just.wing.it
When are you an intermediate...
It's like any hobby. Some go with the flow and just enjoy the ride. Others take it much more serious. To others it becomes an obsession.
Each to it's own...and at it's own pace.
Stying I feel is a different beast. Those that are artistically inclined has a huge advantage.
I totally agree!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am an indoor grower with tropicals. For the first 5-6 years strictly indoors. Very tough living in an apartment.
I made so many mistakes and still do. Just more advanced mistakes.
I feel comfortable with my tropicals culture and with design. Where I fail is fundamental basics like wiring.
When I started I thought I could clip and grow my way through life. Lol.
It’s getting easier but it’s still a struggle.
set backs happen. Life happens.
gotta keep trying though. Still trying to provide quality care 365 for the trees but still learning every day. I never want to stop learning.
I would still consider myself a beginner with a new species. So much to learn :)

Last edited:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I guess it could be directly related to where you set that bar at.....filtered by some generally agreed to guidelines, each of us will have many common levels where felt very comfortable completing specific task(s)....over and over...watching your trees develop.... . and years on..... one day you step back and take a little pride in the accomplishment before you.
After 15 years fumbling along, I still believe I’m a newbie....it’s all in how you 👀 it 😂.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is so much to know, and I'm not really interested in learning it all like a pro. I suppose I'm somewhere in the middle, but something dies every year, so I can't really claim any real serious expertise. I felt like a young man, like my thinking hadn't really changed very much, into my forties. Young people wouldn't understand that. I still haven't changed my thinking much from when I was young, but now I'm officially old. Looking back I still couldn't tell you when I was no longer young.

I'm still discovering new species and as it's been said before they all have their own requirements and every time I acquire a new one, the process starts all over again. I've been doing this for 20 years, but I know guys who have been doing this for 50 years. You can't really know it all, and probably can't really know very much unless you work towards that goal and that's not for me. I'm content to be in the middle of where I was and where I'm going, wherever that is.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
for me its pretty cut and dry. if you still have to ask for permission, you are still a newbie. when do i repot this, when can i chop that, when can i cut this, how do i style this, what would you do with this, would you buy this, should i put this in the ground or should it go in a pot, should i mist this, etc etc are all newbie questions imo.
There’s a big difference between confidence and knowledge though. Do you take it to mean that newbieness is just the initial phase of becoming introduced to key concepts then?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well now, a stranger to me on Facebook...stated I was an elitist in messenger of course, over my opinion on a book. So...I reckon I was just promoted in my status. lol I don't think a beginner can be an elitist as well...can they? Oh today was a funny day. But, it made me think of the late Jim Lewis...who was an amazing man. He too a book nerd. We had so many conversations over books. Today, as I reflect my opinion was heavily factored in by our talks...I MISS HIM! Dang gone it... UGH. Still learning a few new species...and doesn't that always bring us back to earlier days? Horticultural care is an important key for sure.

Top Bottom