When do I cut these buds? Very young mugo

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is about 3 years old, grown from seed. It is in coarse Boon mix, but recently topped with turface because the top roots are getting exposed. There are a lot of new buds on one branch shown in pics. I gather I have to remove all but 2, and cut upward and downward growing needles. Is this the right time to do it? I have also been spraying copper sulfate, 3 times, forbthe bands on a few needles 93F955BA-42B2-48C0-9463-3EFF71B002DD.jpegBCA437C9-4826-4853-9A9B-0D2536DF7F83.jpeg55E17401-F432-46D4-99ED-3C0F5E28B880.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think your tree is a little to young to start its adult training. You are welcome to start trimming an removing needles but pruning now will really reduce the growth and it will take longer than forever to grow a decent bonsai.

There are basically 2 stages in the bonsai life of pines.
In the early stages we concentrate on growth and development to get good branches and thicken the trunk. Trees in this stage are allowed to grow a lot with occasional pruning to maintain growth where it will be needed. Removing excess shoots to prevent large clusters or 'whorls' of branches will help limit swelling where the branches fork but otherwise allow plenty of needles and plenty of growth to fuel thickening and branching.

Later we start to prune and trim more often in the maintenance phase to build good ramification in branching and to limit the growth to maintain a shape and size. That's when we start removing needles and shoots.

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This makes sense. Obviously this little guy needs growth primarily. This one branch, tho, has seven buds. Won’t this create a whorl and swelling? I was thinking thin to two buds on the end ( the other branches have 2 buds after I thinned in spring) and maybe 2 buds along the branch. On the other hand, maybe the little guy will self select what buds to grow.
I also have nine seed grown mugo in their second summer, still in potting soil bc the one in these pics was the only survivor of a bunch of seedlings transferred to bonsai soil their first summer. When and how should I shift those second summer seedlings to better draining soil?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are all 7 buds in the exact same spot on the branch or spread out along the branch?

I am not seeing a cluster of 7 buds on the ends of the branches in the pictures

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would almost completely ignore the top, allowing it to grow for your trunk, while maintaining the first branch as your future tree. Allowing it the small, short growth it should naturally have, keeping it "barely alive".

Sorce

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok just let all but the first branch or two, be my sacrifice. Plant in a bigger container. Fertilize.

Dblvisn

Seedling
Reaction score
You dont want to cut any buds this time of year on a single flush pine. if there are too many buds now you can remove some and leave two on the ends . leave the back buds to accelerate growth.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea, I would leave everything right now and see what develops next spring

This tree is basically a seedling and needs to grow.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I also have nine seed grown mugo in their second summer, still in potting soil bc the one in these pics was the only survivor of a bunch of seedlings transferred to bonsai soil their first summer. When and how should I shift those second summer seedlings to better draining soil?
I transplant pine seedlings as soon as they are large enough to handle. At that stage I can prune the roots quite hard to encourage lots of lateral roots for good future nebari. I don't always get the time to transplant all seedlings early as that and continue to transplant as time, space and pots allow for as long as it takes. Sometimes they are 2 years old before the first transplant so I don't think there is a 'best' time.
In your area it might be wise to delay transplant until the optimum spring transplant season. It should not hurt the trees to stay in the potting soil through winter provided you water and care appropriately.
Not sure what happened to your first transplants but sincerely doubt it will have been timing. More likely some factor after the transplant.

Top Bottom