When do I know when to take of wire on deciduous trees ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So I’ve wired some seedlings 3-4 months ago but I forgot to think about removing the wire. Are these ready to get rid of the wire or not ?

Attachments

• 75318DF2-EC6F-490B-B940-C19238B6A38E.jpeg
    75318DF2-EC6F-490B-B940-C19238B6A38E.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 83

San Franpsycho

Sapling
Reaction score
So I’ve wired some seedlings 3-4 months ago but I forgot to think about removing the wire. Are these ready to get rid of the wire or not ?
I see this as one of those question that if it is asked you already know the answer ;)
Can always rewire if it wasn't quite ready - even if so, you've relieved the scarring. plus can add new detail w/new growth.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I see this as one of those question that if it is asked you already know the answer ;)
Can always rewire if it wasn't quite ready - even if so, you've relieved the scarring. plus can add new detail w/new growth.
Yeah I did some stupid stuff last year on my trees

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most people leave wire on far too long. Seem to be frightened it may straighten up???
Small twigs like these set in just a few weeks so there's no need to leave wires on for ever.
Always remove wires as soon as you notice any mark on the bark as those marks can take years to grow out. If your wire starts to look flat on the side close to the trunk that means the bark has swelled up around the wire.
As already mentioned, its not hard to rewire if the trunk does straighten but chances are it will be OK.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unwire. Wait a week. If it straightens up more than you like. Rewire and next time wait longer.

Top Bottom