When do satsuki’s bloom?

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Particularly kinsai in zone 8a (north Texas)?

I’ve read that the previous year is when buds form for the next spring’s bloom. Do the new shoots that are emerging now produce a flower this spring or is it just new growth?

Attachments

• 356478F9-9933-4149-BF81-4D6F1D1095FE.jpeg
    356478F9-9933-4149-BF81-4D6F1D1095FE.jpeg
    482.5 KB · Views: 28
  • D88B56EC-6841-4958-9C95-BC291DD2027C.jpeg
    D88B56EC-6841-4958-9C95-BC291DD2027C.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 37
  • B544F595-C44E-4E41-8BC7-8A6BB0A50585.jpeg
    B544F595-C44E-4E41-8BC7-8A6BB0A50585.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 36

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Unless you pruned particularly late last year, you should get blooms this year. Depending on variety/cultivar, it should bloom early summer in Texas - May/June.

Azalea blooms take a lot of energy from the tree. It is usually not recommended that you allow a tree in development to bloom because it slows down development. However it takes a lot of discipline :) If you want to "cheat" you can remove 50% of the flower buds, and get a lot of flowers without over-stressing the tree. In many cases, strategic removable of the buds may get you a better flower display anyway, since it will allow the flowers to open more fully without crowding.

Don't forget to remove any flower heads after blooming.

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks B-Nut. I was hoping for a mid April bloom.

Have you seen the video with Ryan Neil and Peter Warren? Peter stresses to let all azalea’s go through their bloom every spring and never bare root or hack the sheen too heavily. A great watch. (Azalea pruning July 13, 2017)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks B-Nut. I was hoping for a mid April bloom.

The third picture looks to be like mid April will be the start of blooms to me :) I only remove blooms if there is to many in a cluster for them to open/show nicely. There are others that do the same or never and they don't see a growth difference in a wide variety of states.

Grimmy

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I seem to recall reading somewhere that "Satsuki" translates to "5th month" in Japan, meaning that they tend to bloom in May in Japan. For me, here in N GA, they start pushing vegetative growth consistently by mid February, and will typically bloom in April, though some buds will stay closed into May.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The closeup picture shows a red flower bud as well as new spring growth. 'Kinsai', like almost all satsuki, will grow new leaves first. Once it is covered in new leaves and they have extended fully and start maturing, it will start flowering.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That’s what my Kinsai looks like right now. Should bloom in mid- to late-May.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Satsuki - tend to have a flush of growth in early spring, then they bloom, May-June, then followed by a second flush of growth. Buds for the following spring are usually set before the autumn equinox in my area, though they could set later for some varieties.

Kurume azaleas tend to go straight to blooming after winter dormancy, no vegetative flush first. This puts them one to two months ahead of Satsuki for blooming. After blooming, the growth happens. There are a fair number of hybrids between the two groups, so it is best to just observe the cultivar you have and keep notes on what it naturally does.

I usually thin the flower buds for my azalea, but I never can bring myself to remove all flower buds. The point of raising azalea is the flowers, otherwise one could just grow boxwoods. I hate boxwood, I find them boring.

In autumn, I decide if I will be repotting & doing drastic work on an azalea. If I am going to do drastic work, I remove all, or just about all flower buds. The azalea will need its strength if I am going to do severe work on it. Years where I know I am only going to do wiring and pruning, I let them flower fully, or with just a light thinning of flower buds.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I seem to recall reading somewhere that "Satsuki" translates to "5th month" in Japan, meaning that they tend to bloom in May in Japan. For me, here in N GA, they start pushing vegetative growth consistently by mid February, and will typically bloom in April, though some buds will stay closed into May.
I need to amend my response. I just reread this thread on my personal Satsuki. It apparently starts to flower Mid May, peaks late in the month and into June, though it has had swelling flower buds in April... https://bonsainut.com/threads/meet-my-little-friend.4569/

Top Bottom