When do trees usually go on for sale cheap ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So I plan on only buying 1 tree this year. Probably deciduous but can be a pine or juniper . Atleast something really getting out of the pre bonsai stage or already a “developed” bonsai . I will probably only be spending a few hundred on it . What months are the best for getting a good deal ?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not a seasonal thing at all. What you want is opportunity and that can happen at any given moment. A club member is selling off part of their collection and letting things go for really decent prices. You just have to bide your time and wait until someone shouts, "enough! I've got to get rid of some trees!" Happens all the time, but you have to be on the lookout.A nursery going out of business sign drops my anchor in a heartbeat.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I plan on only buying 1 tree this year. Probably deciduous but can be a pine or juniper . Atleast something really getting out of the pre bonsai stage or already a “developed” bonsai . I will probably only be spending a few hundred on it . What months are the best for getting a good deal ?
Best "day" to get a good deal is the last day of a show, when vendors are willing to let material go at a discount. Note, however, that much of their best stuff will already be sold, so you will be looking for a diamond in the rough.

Otherwise, show auctions can be a good place to find a deal, or else club members who are looking to get out of a few trees (or may be tired of them).

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
best time to get good trees cheap is 2 weeks after never.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just got back from MABS. Prices for most stuff in the vendor area were not cheap for the most part. In fact quite the opposite. (Untrained at all shimpaku the size of a pencil for $45 and thumb sized for $175 😵).
Ive never seen any significant discounts on the last day and there were none today.

My advice is to keep saving your money until you find something you think is worth it for the money you have.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Just got back from MABS. Prices for most stuff in the vendor area were not cheap for the most part. In fact quite the opposite. (Untrained at all shimpaku the size of a pencil for $45 and thumb sized for $175 😵).
Ive never seen any significant discounts on the last day and there were none today.

My advice is to keep saving your money until you find something you think is worth it for the money you have.
Nice I was gonna go there today just for the $20 day pass but ended up working on my own trees . I’ve found out that finding good bonsai or bonsai material isn’t just about the money but the search 😂

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Club auctions and specific bonsai shows are the BEST sources of material. They happen when they happen. Spring is the most active time for them. There are club auctions around here this coming weekend (April 16). The Potomac Bonsai Association's Bonsai Festival is May 6-8 at the National Arboretum.

BTW, the MABA show and more advanced shows like NBF shows, tend to have more expensive trees since they draw more advanced hobbyists. THere is very little entry and mid level-ish cheaper material available at shows like that from what I've seen over the years. The Bonsai Festival draws a range of vendors from entry level to expert. If you have a day, it might be worth the drive (even if you don't find anything to buy, you can see the bonsai at the museum.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A buddy of mine jumps in after koi carp shows and bonsai shows have ended, just before closing time there's always something people don't want to take home..

He got a decent larch planting for about 20 euros and a couple more trees for pennies. If only he accepted the fact that trees need sunlight..

Top Bottom