When do you start fertilizing

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
When do you all start fertilizing after a repot, and on trees already established in pots that aren't being repotted the current year?

I usually start as soon as the buds start swelling on trees I won't be repotting, and on trees i'm repotting about 10 days after.

I've heard some people begin fertilizing the day they repot the tree even if the root reduction was severe.

Ben

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I fertilize as the trees begin to wake up. I will also fertilize recently re-potted trees, but I don't go out of my way to fertilize them the day of re-potting...they get fertilized when all the other trees get fertilized. I will try to foliar feed for recently re-potted trees or trees with weaker canopies, like cascades.

There isn't a problem fertilizing trees that have had drastic root pruning, but they will have a diminished capacity to use the fert until their root systems have recovered. That's why I try to foliar feed for a month or so after re-pot if the root pruning was drastic...I'm honestly not sure how much it helps, but it can't hurt, so...

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you're using organic fertilizer, you can begin immediately after repotting on most broad-leaf plants (beech and hornbeam begin the exceptions I've found). I start feeding my non-transplant broad-leafs just after buds open. I'd probably start a little sooner, but generally I'm too busy with repotting other plants.

I begin feeding my conifers about a month before they start to move (late winter) with organic ferts with some ammoniacal nitrogen (urea requires warm temperatures to be broken down). Frankly, I've been too scared to try immediate feeding on conifers, but I generally feed them 2-4 weeks before repotting anyway.

If you're using chemical ferts., I would definitely wait the recommended one month after transplant.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tou're just asking what we do right?

Here is what I do...not necessarily the best or should be way...

I use chemical fert and start once the first buds in my yard shows plumping up. It was late last month here in Austin. I use 1/4th strength but apply weekly through a siphon in my hose so all plants get fertilized, newly collected, established ones, newly re-potted, broad leaf, conifers, cuttings, etc.

I do it for convenience and honestly do not see any adverse impact. Either I can't tell or don't know if there is any.

Again, just what I do.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Stan, when do you start with these two? After leaf hardening?

I apply a granular organic about a month after repotting. To be honest, I never really figured out beeches (other than the fact that they have a rather narrow pH band around 7 that they thrive in), and I was probably too impatient for them. I gave up on them over 10 years ago. If you feed hornbeams too heavily after collecting or repotting, their top growth can outgrow their roots, and they will suffer during the heat of the summer.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I fertilize my pines on the first day of spring if they are out and bud-burst for deciduous.The 'Bonsai-Pro' by dyna-gro sais' to fertilize newly repotted trees to promote growth.Dyna-gro is rather mild though since used every watering.I would probably wait if using a stonger brand fertilizer.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you had a bad experience fertilizing sooner then one month post re-pot? Just wondering as I've never had a problem.

I don't recall having trouble with "fertilizer burn", but it's been quite a while since I experimented with it. I did a somewhat scientific experiment for 2 full seasons, using different fertilizers and different plant species, and I had a control for each. What I do remember is an excessive salt build up, much more than what I had experienced by waiting a month. Anecdotal evidence that the plant wasn't using the fertilizer. And after 2 years, there was virtually no difference between the early feeding versus waiting a month for the chemical fertilizer. There didn't seem to be any detrimental effects to feeding with chemicals immediately after repotting, but I didn't notice any positive effects either.

With organic fertilizers, there was a measurable difference in the early fed plants. I would venture to guess that the plant is not using much of them this early in the growing season either. But you're likely jump-starting soil microbes, priming the soil for more effective subsequent feedings.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When do you all start fertilizing after a repot, and on trees already established in pots that aren't being repotted the current year?

I usually start as soon as the buds start swelling on trees I won't be repotting, and on trees i'm repotting about 10 days after.
I pretty much follow this same regimen. Cannot recall having any fert-related issues. Still havent figured out what murdered my azalea last year tho. That thing turned brown and checked out QUICK.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
All the months are based off my local climate, also everyone will be slightly differnt depending on what type of soil, climate, etc they have.

I think when you add fert should be based on what the goal is with the tree and what type of tree it is. For example for trees in development where the goal is to thicken branches or grow a trunk- you should start fertilizing really early-say Jan. Or if you are working On Black pine and plant to De-candle then start early as well, but not quite as early Feb or March, because De candling takes alot of energy from the tree. However if you are working on a refined deciduous tree, you don't want it going too crazy so start later like April or so. Then with refined high mountain pines, where you cannot de candle to reduce needle size waiting untill fall might be the best route. I also won't start fertilizing for about a month after re-potting.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't fertilize deciduous trees until the first flush of new leaves have opened up on refined trees. This keeps Crazy growth from happening. Note I also have inorganics in my mix so they plant is getting some nutrition while they wait for the chemicals.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Unless you apply your fertilizer to bonsai at 10x the label rate, you will NOT "burn" the roots -- not ever.

I fertilize as soon as I repot; I generally soak the newly potted tree in a tub of water to which the correct amount of fertilizer (READ THE LABEL) has been dissolved.

I'll give some of my trees (perhaps those potted last year) a dose of P and K fertilizer in mid winter. I start with a balanced NPK fertilizer when buds start to swell (whenever that is). and fertilize 3-5 times (depending on the species and its age) over the course of the summer.

Last NPK will be in early October.

Top Bottom