When does a rock become a stone?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can give you a few ideas on the stone, but I'll be putting myself at risk for being snobby :p.

First, can you take pictures from all sides? Often you will find stones that have two prominent flat sides, and really we only want one. The reason... well it's like having a back branch on a stone. It adds depth to the image. In my earlier stone collecting days I picked up a lot of stones with two flat sides, but after studying more and seeing great stones in person, I now pass them by.

Second, where is the peak in relation to the entire stone? Great stones have a peak in the middle. I have a fair number of stones that have a peak at the very back. Again, there are many very nice mountain stones with a peak at the back, but toward the middle is better.

I would not recommend cutting the stone. It's quite rare to find a stone with a perfectly flat bottom and carving a difficult diaza is a large part of the artistry. I had the great fortune to go collecting in the Ligurian Mountains in Italy a few weeks ago. The geologic processes there create stones with at least one very flat side, but in my experience this is an exception. The sooner you hone in diaza carving skills, the better.

Finally, I wouldn't oil it. I've seen oiled and non-oiled stones, and I tend to prefer the non-oiled. While you do get a more immediate result, you're in for long term challenges and (to me), they never look quite right. Often times the sheen is too glossy when compared to other stones. There are times where you will find highly polished stones in a river, but there are many great stones that don't have a high luster to them. There are some great images over at the IBC of the Nippon Suiseki Meihinten show. Look in particular at stones 8, 10, 16, 23 and 24. They aren't shiny. So while there are some stones that take a higher gloss than others, it's not a strict requirement. After all, we don't spray leaf shine on our maple leaves.

Well, that's probably more than you wanted. I think the stone has potential.

Best,

I apologize that you took the time to write out this thoughtful reply and I've only just now seen it.

This stone is photographed and presented here from its most attractive side. The back is almost vertical. I'll gladly grab a shot tomorrow for your troubles.

I suppose when I saw it, I was, in parallel, looking at $5 Home Depot junipers. My eye is absolutely not trained to find good stones and I thank you for your information regarding the apex being centralized and a more even overall shape.

That being said, I'm excited to try and create a daiza.

Best Regards,

B

Last edited:

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't worry too much about the picture, unless you'd like me to take a look. I know all things take time, and time is a precious commodity.

If you are interested, there is a great book, Japanese Art of Stone Appreciation: Suiseki and It's Use with Bonsai (Yoshimura and Covello). It isnt too expensive and gives a great explanation of many aspects of suiseki.

I am still (slowly) learning, and much of what I know has been generously passed on by others. I really enjoy getting out to collect stones... Lots less digging than with trees :).

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It was my understanding that rock is the unfinished product used as mined or collected and stone is refined rock like countertops and such. The later being dressed/cut/polished etc... That is just what I was told when dealing with quarry material at the old house.

Grimmy

Reaction score
How's this stone doing? Have you made a daiza yet?
I like the stone. For a first viewing stone it isn't bad at all. And that is an understatement. Cool!

For the rest, what @chansen said

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How's this stone doing? Have you made a daiza yet?
I like the stone. For a first viewing stone it isn't bad at all. And that is an understatement. Cool!

For the rest, what @chansen said

Howdy, Maarten. I still have the stone out back on my bench. Never made a daiza. Some other hobbies took up much more of my time. I assure you, I appreciate this stone each time I visit my bench.

Cheers,

B

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
YES! That's exactly how I thought it looked when I found it at the store. Thanks for the shop!

Cheers,
B

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
YES! That's exactly how I thought it looked when I found it at the store. Thanks for the shop!

Cheers,
B

If you really want to get involved, join the Potomac Viewing Stone Group. There are some very knowledgable folks there that are willing to share with newcomers. I believe they meet once a month up at the bonsai museum in DC. I didn't make many meetings when I lived in Richmond, but I know they go on summer collecting trips a couple times a year, usually September if I remember correctly. Collecting stones with experienced folks is a great (and faster) way to train your eye.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember seeing this....
Was there no Like button in 2014?
Maybe this was one of the ones that got lost to going back to work....

Anyway! This is a nice stone!

I gotta say I read this

If you really want to get involved, join the Potomac Viewing Stone Group. There are some very knowledgable folks there that are willing to share with newcomers

And I thought it was funny at first....
You know, Cuz people like us stare at rocks!
And to think there is someone who will tell you..
"No, you can not enjoy that rock!"

Cuz for me, up until I read this...

I can give you a few ideas on the stone, but I'll be putting myself at risk for being snobby :p.

First, can you take pictures from all sides? Often you will find stones that have two prominent flat sides, and really we only want one. The reason... well it's like having a back branch on a stone. It adds depth to the image. In my earlier stone collecting days I picked up a lot of stones with two flat sides, but after studying more and seeing great stones in person, I now pass them by.

Second, where is the peak in relation to the entire stone? Great stones have a peak in the middle. I have a fair number of stones that have a peak at the very back. Again, there are many very nice mountain stones with a peak at the back, but toward the middle is better.

I would not recommend cutting the stone. It's quite rare to find a stone with a perfectly flat bottom and carving a difficult diaza is a large part of the artistry. I had the great fortune to go collecting in the Ligurian Mountains in Italy a few weeks ago. The geologic processes there create stones with at least one very flat side, but in my experience this is an exception. The sooner you hone in diaza carving skills, the better.

Finally, I wouldn't oil it. I've seen oiled and non-oiled stones, and I tend to prefer the non-oiled. While you do get a more immediate result, you're in for long term challenges and (to me), they never look quite right. Often times the sheen is too glossy when compared to other stones. There are times where you will find highly polished stones in a river, but there are many great stones that don't have a high luster to them. There are some great images over at the IBC of the Nippon Suiseki Meihinten show. Look in particular at stones 8, 10, 16, 23 and 24. They aren't shiny. So while there are some stones that take a higher gloss than others, it's not a strict requirement. After all, we don't spray leaf shine on our maple leaves.

Well, that's probably more than you wanted. I think the stone has potential.

Best,

Enjoying rocks was more personal than bonsai.

Here's what I realized.

A Lotta people enjoy rocks, I have a couple from a friend.
Rocks.

Some rocks are enjoyable but are the "sticks in pots" of Suiseki.

But rocks don't grow.
So those will mostly remain rocks.

But this one is a stone.
More "pre-bonsai " than stick in a pot.

Ha! These can be weathered to perfection.

But not if covered in a protective layer of grease yes!?

A rock covered in Grease will NEVER become a stone!

It's the elements that take a rock and make it a viewing stone.

Anyway @chansen I enjoyed these posts.

As it is I have a bunch of rocks and no stones!

With this info I'm sure to find a stone soon!

Thanks!

Sorce

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ya know what? I'm going to make it. I think it'd look great in my office. I spend more time here than anywhere else. Thanks for the bump on this post and the responses. Worst case scenario, I make something I'm proud of and win no awards for it. I can live with that.

Cheers,
B

Top Bottom