When does our trees actually feed?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been witnessing a health deficit, from too much cutting, not enough watering, too many unnatural winters, etc etc....etc etc etc....

That no fertilizer will ever overcome.

We can't take away 90 and expect fertilizer to give us back 80.

It's the most obvious snake oil everyone believes in.

I don't mind talk about fertilizer, so long as the talk itself is always a reminder we probably work our trees too fast.

Sorce

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey there @fredman ! how you doing ?

best regards
Herman
Hey Herman. I'm going like a Boeing Bru....thanks for asking. Good to see you. How you doing on the other side?
You breaking bricks to make soil this year πŸ€ͺ
I see the mighty Springboks are No 1 again πŸ€©πŸ‘

Last edited:

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't mind talk about fertilizer, so long as the talk itself is always a reminder we probably work our trees too fast.
Very true Sorceman. We should be cutting less and give em more time to grow, so they can get to "make their own energy/calories"...as the Big Man said :p

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very true Sorceman. We should be cutting less and give em more time to grow, so they can get to "make their own energy/calories"...as the Big Man said :p

πŸ€”
It's a dull double edged sword.

Let the trees grow, realize they don't even need fertilizer, stop worrying about fertilizer, have better trees.

Sorce

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Herman. I'm going like a Boeing Bru....thanks for asking. Good to see you. How you doing on the other side?
You breaking bricks to make soil this year πŸ€ͺ
I see the mighty Springboks are No 1 again πŸ€©πŸ‘
Things are going very well! I've acquired a lot of native stuff to play with, bless you I'm going to make them in African styles xD
yes I'm still using klinker in my mixes! use it now instead of lava in a pumice, akadama, klinker mix.

been a hard season for the Boks with everything going on. Good on Rassie for calling out world rugby to step up their refereeing game. Just sad that Rassie is taking so much flack...
Our series win over the B/I Lions was awesome. We did well in the 4 nations, maybe a lil bit tired already, but we finished really strong in that last match against NZ. Now we are causing chaos up north against the Scots. But I could see our guys are tired...lywe is al seer getekel...our defence is not what it's supposed to be. Proud of the guys though, one heluva eventful season!

to contribute to the thread.

also depends on the stage and species of a specific tree, Nitrogen can be a boon to a tree that you want to thicken up then cut back hard. I do that a lot to my olives in development.
with my junipers I've seen slow and steady throughout the year and a nice healthy nitrogen boost in autumn gives the best results for me. Baobabs are so starchy and fat that I give them trace elements in the beginning of spring and slow release balanced throughout the year.

best regards
Herman

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've acquired a lot of native stuff to play with, bless you I'm going to make them in African styles xD
Good for you bud....best damn style out there.
Good on Rassie for calling out world rugby to step up their refereeing game. Just sad that Rassie is taking so much flack...
Agree 100%. About time someone has the balls to call out the bureaucrats that stifles our game.
I love it that he interacts with the players during a game...a real visionary. He's braking down boundaries, and the stiff necks don't like that.
Remember when he used to sit on top of the grand stand roof in his tuin stoel checking out the game with his binoculars πŸ˜‚

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Remember when he used to sit on top of the grand stand roof in his tuin stoel checking out the game with his binoculars πŸ˜‚
yes with the remote controlled flashing lights that gives direction πŸ˜‚ Rassie is 'n YSTER!

Good for you bud....best damn style out there.
Watch this space! Remember the very first argument we had over at bonsai study group, over a knob thorn? πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

btw did you know South Africa has a native Premna? Premna Mooiensis (not mine), I picked one up from a buddy of mine that digs them in Natal.

Lekker man!
Herman

Last edited:

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Watch this space! Remember the very first argument we had over at bonsai study group, over a knob thorn? πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

btw did you know South Africa has a native Premna? Premna Mooiensis (not mine), I picked one up from a buddy of mine that digs them in Natal.
Ha Ha...remember that very well. All for the good cause though πŸ‘
Plz put up some photos man. Would love to see some trees from the Motherland again. I still dream about collecting Acacia seeds...no bull.
I have two fever trees i'm working on...seeds imported from Cape Town...it's the only Acacia seed i'm allowed to import to NZ.
Nah I didn't know about a Premna there. Natal has some unique trees. Love the name...."mooiensis" ;)

Top Bottom