When/how much to cut back Shimpaku

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can you drive electric cars in the rain?
Yep! You can even charge them! And Supercharge them! In fact, mine is charging right now! And it's pouring!

And yes, I park it outside, and it's wet! Very wet!

Here's some cool pictures I took of raindrops on the roof of the car:

IMG_0471.JPG IMG_0472.JPG

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your input and ideas! When doing major bends in branches this size, which are still quite flexible, would you use raffia to be on the safe side, or would you consider that to be overkill?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why do I get the feeling @M. Frary diabolically laughs every time he passes a Prius or other electric car in his gas guzzling pick up?
I have yet to see a Tesla to pass. They don't have them in northern michigan.
His pickup might be able to pass a Prius, but certainly not a Tesla!
But when the electric car runs out of juice I can drag it to where it needs to be.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have yet to see a Tesla to pass. They don't have them in northern michigan.

But when the electric car runs out of juice I can drag it to where it needs to be.
Oh, I bet there are some. However, the State of Michigan is doing everything they can to discourage Tesla in the State. I believe that Tesla has filed a lawsuit. Tesla says they have applied for a license to sell cars in the State, and it keeps getting denied because they sell through company owned stores rather than through franchisers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh, I bet there are some. However, the State of Michigan is doing everything they can to discourage Tesla in the State. I believe that Tesla has filed a lawsuit. Tesla says they have applied for a license to sell cars in the State, and it keeps getting denied because they sell through company owned stores rather than through franchisers.
You don't think Ford, GM, or the UAW have anything to do with it, do you? :rolleyes:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, the manufacturers are certainly scared of Tesla, and so are the franchised dealers.

I don't think they're scared of Tesla, as much as the potential Chinese cars coming in with their own stores.

That said... the current (or the former) CEO of Ford just got fired. They put a guy in charge of autonomous driving as new CEO.

I think the car companies see the hand writing on the wall! (Except Toyota!)

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
It’s time for and update on this one. Here we have a pic from last year.
66C36D04-3FAC-4A07-869D-2E8A805FF60D.jpeg
I had made some initial bends in 2018, and we made it to vigorous. So after seeing a good response in growth following my move this February, it was time to take another step. Here we are today, front and back.
CDA302CC-7081-47D0-BD51-A19F0838D90A.jpegBE969C61-B6B7-4F39-BDFB-505820AF98AD.jpeg
It’s in development, but I think you can start to see the direction it’s moving toward. I’ve left a sacrifice branch that will become a jin, and maybe be done away with in time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actual conversation I had once when I drove a Jetta TDI:

Person: "Is that a Jetti TDI? How do you like it?"
Me: "I love it, the mileage is great - like 36mpg"
Person: "Hmm, my Prius does better."
Me: "Right on, I also like the TDI because it feels a little zippy."
Person: "Hmm..if I want Zip I'll just drive my BMW."
Me: "Well if I wanted my ass kicked around here, I'd drive a Prius."

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It’s time for and update on this one. Here we have a pic from last year.
View attachment 309261
I had made some initial bends in 2018, and we made it to vigorous. So after seeing a good response in growth following my move this February, it was time to take another step. Here we are today, front and back.
View attachment 309262View attachment 309263
It’s in development, but I think you can start to see the direction it’s moving toward. I’ve left a sacrifice branch that will become a jin, and maybe be done away with in time.
I really like where it's going.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Did a little work on this one to guide the energy push coming out of summer dormancy. One of two remaining sacrifice branches turned to deadwood and a trim of strong tips to direct energy to interior growth. Next spring we’ll look under the hood and start root work. There’s nothing like sharing your passions with the ones you love!
A5D79ED1-0603-484B-BA7B-68EA37E92D76.jpeg5AECC07F-B35A-4CDE-921D-0A67DABDDC12.jpeg

Top Bottom