When is a ginkgo to big for bonsai?

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its an absolutely beautiful..........................Wheelbarrow 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 Love laughing at my own jokes because no else does:(

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As said.. Once dug from the ground, the two of us could not lift it. That sealed the decision not to take it home.

Did you check the REST of the "renovation?" That's where some treasure could show up.
Shrubs, vines, etc.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you check the REST of the "renovation?" That's where some treasure could show up.
Shrubs, vines, etc.
Yeah. THis is one of those houses where they have managed to get rocks to propagate. A stone garden with 6 trees in a row. Yuk.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could take a bunch of the branches and make cuttings from them

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could take a bunch of the branches and make cuttings from them
No interest whatsoever. I have one seedling ginkgo, of some 50 I had and gave the rest away. This was mainly of my interest because it was big. But too big, as it turned out

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Speaking of big potted trees, has anyone seen the Sundance-premiered documentary called Taming the Garden? Its about a wealthy Georgian guy buying full-grown trees and moving them to his garden.
Here's a trailer. Can't wait to see this.
CW

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.. The yew did not make it. That makes it one too many killed. :( I hate how I somehow seem to have problems collecting yews over 6inch diameter.

Yesterday a friend asked me whether I wanted a big yew.
1636287645448.png

Looked great so I got into the car. When I arrived they had pulled it out of the ground already. The perspective here is off. I did not realize it was a downward picture. This stump stands 4-5ft tall, base near 3ft wide. 2 persons was enough to move, not lift. I went home without it. :(

HankDio

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The sensible thing would be to forget about them. On the other hand... will you suddenly regret the lack of giant ginkgo on your bench in a year?
"Bonsai" and "sensibility" rarely go hand-in-hand.

Top Bottom