When is it acceptable/preferred to cross wires

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
(I posted this in Advanced Topics, mostly so I could put this warning in here: I'm not asking for permission to be sloppy.)

I enjoy wiring. In the past I haven't done as much of it as I should, but I'm trying to do the work at the right time on the trees I have that are ready for the work.

I've had the opportunity to study the wiring of some professionals (Japanese-trained, some of them) as well as some folks who simply are really good at wiring. I've noticed that "Never cross a wire" isn't the mandate some have expressed it to be. Can anyone (who wires neatly and sees the benefit in orderly wiring) explain when its appropriate to cross wires?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you must more than you shouldn't.

There is a better way to cross them when you must. Dictated by leverage.
This can be found in planning.

Sorce

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
(I posted this in Advanced Topics, mostly so I could put this warning in here: I'm not asking for permission to be sloppy.)

I enjoy wiring. In the past I haven't done as much of it as I should, but I'm trying to do the work at the right time on the trees I have that are ready for the work.

I've had the opportunity to study the wiring of some professionals (Japanese-trained, some of them) as well as some folks who simply are really good at wiring. I've noticed that "Never cross a wire" isn't the mandate some have expressed it to be. Can anyone (who wires neatly and sees the benefit in orderly wiring) explain when its appropriate to cross wires?
You cross smaller gauge over larger gauge when you need the support which would otherwise be provided by a solid shoulder of the branch. This avoids the see-saw effect where, if you lift one branch of a wired pair, it pushes the other one down. It is generally done at the first bend, where you’re going to wrap one side in one direction of rotation (clock sense) and the other side in the other direction.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When you must more than you shouldn't.

There is a better way to cross them when you must. Dictated by leverage.
This can be found in planning.

From what I've seen and by whom I've seen it, I doubt its a lack of planning.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can cross a small wire over the last loop of a larger wire where the branch extends out beyond the larger wire. Crossing over locks the two wires and the branch together making the two wire act as one continuous length.

672A5B7E-EA9D-429C-A3B9-7CC20FD27095.jpeg

If you look at this branch, in the lower middle, you Will see where I went over a thicker wire with a thinner wire.

I don’t always do it, just where it makes sense.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can cross a small wire over the last loop of a larger wire where the branch extends out beyond the larger wire. Crossing over locks the two wires and the branch together making the two wire act as one continuous length.

View attachment 271758

If you look at this branch, in the lower middle, you Will see where I went over a thicker wire with a thinner wire.

I don’t always do it, just where it makes sense.
Actually, upon closer inspection, I found three places where I wrapped a thin wire over a thicker one to anchor them and extend the wire along the branch.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Actually, upon closer inspection, I found three places where I wrapped a thin wire over a thicker one to anchor them and extend the wire along the branch.
Found 'em.

Thanks.

Top Bottom