When is the best time of year to collect American elm?

Slow Learner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I assume I am way, way too late for this year. I would like to know what time of year is best to collect American elm? Before winter leaves fall off?

What are the chances for success? Can I do a trunk chop on A. elm? Any other advice from those that have collected A. elm successfully is appreciated. Thank you.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I assume I am way, way too late for this year. I would like to know what time of year is best to collect American elm? Before winter leaves fall off?
What are the chances for success? Can I do a trunk chop on A. elm? Any other advice from those that have collected A. elm successfully is appreciated. Thank you.
I think in spring, just before the leaves come out.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Yup, ideal time is early spring/late winter. When the buds swell just a bit, but error on the side of the buds not being opened-it will be a lot more stress on the tree if the leaves are open already.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Spring would be the best but for elms I will say: whenever you feel like it basically...

Ok, may be not, but seriously, depending on the size of the tree, elms are so though that there is a large chance of success even that late in Summer. If, of course, you plan to collect a rather small one. For a big one then spring no doubt.

And yes you could do a trunk chop. A roots chop. A whatever chop. Once again large chances of success.

Also, another technique: you can collect in winter, when the leaves are totally gone and the tree in deep dormancy (I usually do it on Thanksgiving week-end) chop everything and bury the tree in the ground. In spring, when the other elms in your neighborhood start to bud, you dig it and plant it.
This is the one I murdered last winter
12299112_1102301129787708_3725449314869324773_n.jpg
And there it is now, well not now actually, 2 weeks ago, now it is even bigger
DSC04291.JPG
:)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

In this area (DMV y'all) early to mid March. April is also possible and even into May. The later collection times aren't optimal, but American elm is a very tough tree and can take abuse.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Early spring is always best, but I don't think I've lost a single American elm collected any time under any condition, using any method short of explosives. They are one of the most durable trees I've every worked with.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As others have said, spring is absolutely best, BUT, I've never actually had an elm die on me for any reason even collection mid summero_O elms are like the hulk species of trees!

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
29.7 seconds before you sneeze...

Within 43 minutes after a fart.

Anytime before someone else digs it up!

Never when she's on her period.

If it must be collected now.
I'd chop everything off on top and keep as many roots as you can.

But yeah....spring.

Sorce

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Stumbled across this as I was double checking myself even though I too have taken Elm at any time of year I still was curious because I just stumbled upon a large strip of land in the middle of a parking lot behind a super ghetto motel that was crudely land cleared and there is probably 100 different clusters of almonds ranging from 6 inches to 2 feet and I’m definitely about to dig me up some

Top Bottom