When is the best time to collect a pine growing in the ground

Shape52

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was wondering when is the correct time to dig up a pine from the ground. I found a nice looking tree I would like to try to collect. I'm not sure when the correct time to do it is. I live in New Jersey, if that helps as far as timing. Thank you in advance for any info.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I would assume its similiar to when its appropriate to repot so late winter early spring

Shape52

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you and I actually have another question. Can I safely reduce it when I dig it up. I'd like to reduce it by about half it's current size which is about 4'

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you mean as compared to collecting a pine growing in the sky? ;)

I am a world respected pine killer, so do not listen to me !

ed

C.A. Young

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd collect in March and do my utmost to keep as much of the original root system as I can. Also, I wouldn't pot it up straightaway. Give it a year in a deep growing bed. Pines recover quicker with the addition of micorrhizal fungus spores. Try myconox or "sub-culture M". As always with pines, when their roots are disturbed, your biggest enemy is desiccation, so mist the foliage as often as you can, and add superthrive to your misting water. Also, I'd wait to reduce it much. You're better to work to clear out old dead needles to promote good air circulation.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shape52 where are you located? and do you have any pictures?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
He said in the OP that he is in New Jersey.

Id agree with trying not to reduce it too much if you can. Depending on how big the root mass is and how much you have to remove to get it out of the ground, you might need to reduce some of the foliage mass to compensate. If the root mass is extensive, you might want to consider doing the collection as a step process: cut half the roots one year and leave in th ground and finish the collection the following year. Not sure if you have to resort to that though. Some pictures might help us give you some better advice.

I would strongly suggest researching a bit about collection of trees and look for the book "Bonsai from the wild" by Nick Lenz. It is available from www.stonelantern.com

Last edited:
Top Bottom