When is the best time to take Chojubai cuttings?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve had success taking small cuttings in March in Atlanta and planting in straight perlite.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has anyone determined the best timing for cuttings of Chojubai ? And a quick description of rooting them?
The best time for cuttings is in June, or just after the new leaves have hardened off. The. Timing will vary by zone. Use a fine soil for the cuttings. I use pumic fines and akadama fines mixed. I cut a 3-4 inch piece, remove leaves off the bottom 2 inches and place in the soil. Sharp cuts taking care not to push but slice the ends. Keep damp and mist or cover with lid or bag.
The easiest is to take the suckers with a bit of root and use those to start new plants.
They can be rooted other times but the best is as noted above.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They can be rooted other times but the best is as noted above.

They are not particularly robust. I am trying to grow one out to see if I can get any caliper... and I am getting a lot of random die-back at the same time that I am getting strong growth from new shoots.

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
ok, thanks. I will give it a try again. The one weird thing mine did was drop its leaves at the end of the summer even as green. No branch die off ,it just went dormant early. Its leafing out beautifully now with a few flowers.

Attachments

• 2018 chojubai.JPG
    2018 chojubai.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 67

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
ok, thanks. I will give it a try again. The one weird thing mine did was drop its leaves at the end of the summer even as green. No branch die off ,it just went dormant early. Its leafing out beautifully now with a few flowers.
That is normal for Chojubai, they are weird.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are not particularly robust. I am trying to grow one out to see if I can get any caliper... and I am getting a lot of random die-back at the same time that I am getting strong growth from new shoots.
I found that in the beginning. So I changed to deeper pots and more shade. They are very robust now! Initially i was told they liked the sun. Since i placed them in shade the color is fantastic and the leaf drop intermittently has stopped. When i was taking some intensives with Michael Hagedorn i picked up good information on chojubai. They grow much better in deeper containers with good drainage and aeration. They are slower growers that is for sure. Once the cuttings have struck roots i move them to 1 gal nursery pots. Then to 3 gal nursery pots for further development. I remove all flower buds and fruit as they appear so the growth can go in the foliage and trunks. Being a shrub the pruning focus needs to be on the lower branches to get any trunk growth. Keeping the apex strong. I only repot them in the fall. Sorry if i am running on, but they are neat, weird little Bonsai plants. Lots of articles and pictures on Michaels site. Craetegus.com.
Another successful grower in your neck of the woods was Lone Pine Gardens, and Telperion Farms near Salem Oregon.
Just a few hours (8) north of you;)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I found that in the beginning. So I changed to deeper pots and more shade.

They are definitely shade/partial sun plants - or at least they are in Southern California. As soon as I moved mine in with my azaleas and Japanese maples (under shade cloth) it started doing MUCH better. Meanwhile my standard quince are in full sun and don't miss a beat.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks very healthy. You will get stronger growth if you remove any suckers that come up around the main trunk. I am assuming you are working on a single trunk style when i give that suggestion. Using them to start new plants is a good idea.

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
I haven't had any suckers come up so far. I have seen those styles where they allow nothing but suckers so its a multi stemmed bush style .Havent figured out which way Id like to go and usually let the plant decide most of that. There is actually 2 plan ts in the pot. The tiny one to the right has leafed out nicely everywhere except for the last inch of top leader. It has closed buds as if the top leader is dead. That's what I cant figure out. I admit mine is in full sun here in NY. So I will keep the shade part in mind this summer.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cuttings always work for me when the stems get past any succulent stage and are semi-ripe.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I found that in the beginning. So I changed to deeper pots and more shade. They are very robust now! Initially i was told they liked the sun. Since i placed them in shade the color is fantastic and the leaf drop intermittently has stopped. When i was taking some intensives with Michael Hagedorn i picked up good information on chojubai. They grow much better in deeper containers with good drainage and aeration. They are slower growers that is for sure. Once the cuttings have struck roots i move them to 1 gal nursery pots. Then to 3 gal nursery pots for further development. I remove all flower buds and fruit as they appear so the growth can go in the foliage and trunks. Being a shrub the pruning focus needs to be on the lower branches to get any trunk growth. Keeping the apex strong. I only repot them in the fall. Sorry if i am running on, but they are neat, weird little Bonsai plants. Lots of articles and pictures on Michaels site. Craetegus.com.
Another successful grower in your neck of the woods was Lone Pine Gardens, and Telperion Farms near Salem Oregon.
Just a few hours (8) north of you;)
Yes, deeper pots have been the secret sauce for me too... They have been very prolific. I have taken in cuttings in late summer and used perlite/fir bark mulch (mixture will depend on your climate) ... and then translate the following spring in my regular bonsai mix (with more akadama).

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

That's been my experience too. It's almost like the whole plant will look like it wants to die yet strongly live in other sections.

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
So its now June 8th and I have plenty of shoots with 5-6 inches of new growth. They should harden up soon . Then I will try taking a few cuttings and see if they take. Ill try again at the end of summer also and see which was a better time.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They sure are fun. I try a few cuttings each year and usually 30-66% take. Hope you are successful!

vahibonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello! I took some cuttings from my little red chojubai on February 17 in Georgia (7b), all pretty thin. I removed the buds, dipped in rooting hormone, and planted in perlite (misted in a glass pot partially covered with plastic to keep humid but avoid mold). There are still little green leaves emerging from the twigs 3.5 weeks later, but I don't know if they're rooting. Any idea as to how long it usually takes to root from cuttings before I start checking? Thanks!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sticking Chojobai anytime is a great imho. As long as you can give these proper care. I like sticking chojobai right as the buds start moving… it gives me something to do in the late winter.

This is an it depends question, but by the end of the month roots ought to begin to form. Please to leave the top growth alone and see what happens. You may want to ensure there is airflow to the cuttings otherwise damping off is a real issue.

cheers
DSD sends

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello! I took some cuttings from my little red chojubai on February 17 in Georgia (7b), all pretty thin. I removed the buds, dipped in rooting hormone, and planted in perlite (misted in a glass pot partially covered with plastic to keep humid but avoid mold). There are still little green leaves emerging from the twigs 3.5 weeks later, but I don't know if they're rooting. Any idea as to how long it usually takes to root from cuttings before I start checking? Thanks!
A reliable sign that rooting is progressing is when the foliage shows extended growth beyond the first leaves. I usually do not attempt to repot until the cuttings how 3-4 inch extension of new foliage. Chojubai cuttings are not difficult and root cuttings can produce very desirable formations in the lower portion. Starting with movement is a plus.

wheatcherryowl

Seedling
Reaction score
From what I've read, the best time for taking cuttings of Chojubai is in the late spring to early summer, after the new growth has hardened off a bit. As for rooting them, it's recommended to use a rooting hormone and a well-draining soil mix. You can also try using a misting system to keep the cuttings moist while they root. Once they've rooted, you can gradually reduce the humidity and increase light to encourage growth.

Top Bottom