When Should I Move My Jack Pine Seedling Outside?

restin84

Seed
Reaction score
I am growing a Jack Pine from seed. The needles it has when it emerged are quite long (about 1.5 inches?) and it is developing another set of needles now. At what point can I move this tree outside?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless it's below freezing where you live now would be a good time.

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The only real danger outdoors, after dessication of course, is animal damage. I like to cover my pine seedlings with hardware cloth (1/2" steel mesh) and leave them in full sun all day. Good luck.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd pick a cloudy week.

Then you aint gotta dance it around the blazing sun.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

restin84

Seed
Reaction score
Where do you live?
I live in Colorado Spring CO. Judging by most of the replies it seems like now would probably be a good time. I will most likely create an enclosure for it out of hardware cloth as Quince suggested.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last month? Except for when they are seeds stratifying in the fridge, my seedlings are outside year round.

When you planted them.

All the times I have done pines from seed I put them right into full sun when I planted them. When they start out in full sun they don't need to be acclimated to it and there is less chance of fungal issues.

Make sure no to let them dry out. They will dry out much faster when you have them outside.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@restin84
Jack pine are more cold tolerant than most, possibly all other species of North American pines. Once it is outside, it should stay out, only bring it inside for short periods to enjoy, less than a day or two.

Usually by second or third year you won't need a cage to protect it. Unless you have elk or deer in your yard.

Top Bottom