When should I start to fertilize my 2 week old seedling?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
New to this as well, taking any advice! Inside with grow light as it's friggin winter here (2 inch of snow). Yes that what i figure to, it's growing so far so good! I do notice changes in it every day... so i will definatly be keeping eye on yours too, as a bench mark for mine..
Yikes! 2 inches of snow. It’s cold here (low 40s), but no ❄️. Great to know that our seedlings are so close in age as we will benefit from a lot of the same tips!!?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hard to tell how big that is! Alternatively you could just very carefully poke a few holes in the bottom of it's current container.
It’s 3.5 x 3.5 inches. Poking a hole in current container is a great idea too!

ThirdCoastBorn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Jumping in here as a fellow beginner who's about 3 months "ahead" with learning about the seedling process and Delonix regia specifically. I say that in terms of time, not necessarily knowledge :) although have been doing a fair amount of horticultural reading that's hopefully not a total waste. At the moment, I'm managing ~50 seedlings that are ~3 months old, in standard 3" plastic nursery containers. I also have another 50 month-old plants that are in Rootmaker containers I received for Xmas.

I start fertilizing after the second set of true leaves (not the cotyledons) emerge, using Miracle-Gro "Quick Start" per directions (apply again 7 days later, wait another week and then begin with a 'standard' fertilizer program). This seems to work well enough, but I plan to run mini-experiments on different regimens for my next batch of seedlings in March. Since a major mistake I made was starting the seeds at the wrong time of year (fall/winter), which has mostly kept them under lights and not receiving the benefit of full sun. I'd started a few trays of Austrian Pine and Siberian Elm and soon gave up on all but a couple; I understand from others (Leo) that such species in particular need to be timed right, so will attempt them again in March. I just caught the bonsai bug bad this fall and couldn't wait to start SOMETHING; Delonix regia's no pre-treatment requirement fit the bill for me and perhaps it was similar for you.

The attached photos were all sown in mid-September (have a few others not pictured), just so you have a sense of four months of (weak) growth. I find them to be VERY sensitive to mis-watering (under- but especially over-), where the leaves turn yellow and/or drop off entirely. So depending on the soil media that you're using, be mindful of the difference between 'moist' and 'wet' and certainly poke holes in the current container or transplant it ASAP. The one that looks the best right now had looked like the others just a few weeks ago, so they can recover and don't be discouraged if (likely when) it happens to yours. I've started hardening these off outside when the daytime weather is > 55F, although think it got too windy on a few days and will be too cold next week so that transition is set back; no idea how much growth to expect under full-sun conditions.

I look forward to seeing how yours progress, will try to make more mistakes in advance so you don't have to :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190116_102542259.jpg
    IMG_20190116_102542259.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190116_102609627.jpg
    IMG_20190116_102609627.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190116_102622963.jpg
    IMG_20190116_102622963.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Jumping in here as a fellow beginner who's about 3 months "ahead" with learning about the seedling process and Delonix regia specifically. I say that in terms of time, not necessarily knowledge :) although have been doing a fair amount of horticultural reading that's hopefully not a total waste. At the moment, I'm managing ~50 seedlings that are ~3 months old, in standard 3" plastic nursery containers. I also have another 50 month-old plants that are in Rootmaker containers I received for Xmas.

I start fertilizing after the second set of true leaves (not the cotyledons) emerge, using Miracle-Gro "Quick Start" per directions (apply again 7 days later, wait another week and then begin with a 'standard' fertilizer program). This seems to work well enough, but I plan to run mini-experiments on different regimens for my next batch of seedlings in March. Since a major mistake I made was starting the seeds at the wrong time of year (fall/winter), which has mostly kept them under lights and not receiving the benefit of full sun. I'd started a few trays of Austrian Pine and Siberian Elm and soon gave up on all but a couple; I understand from others (Leo) that such species in particular need to be timed right, so will attempt them again in March. I just caught the bonsai bug bad this fall and couldn't wait to start SOMETHING; Delonix regia's no pre-treatment requirement fit the bill for me and perhaps it was similar for you.

The attached photos were all sown in mid-September (have a few others not pictured), just so you have a sense of four months of (weak) growth. I find them to be VERY sensitive to mis-watering (under- but especially over-), where the leaves turn yellow and/or drop off entirely. So depending on the soil media that you're using, be mindful of the difference between 'moist' and 'wet' and certainly poke holes in the current container or transplant it ASAP. The one that looks the best right now had looked like the others just a few weeks ago, so they can recover and don't be discouraged if (likely when) it happens to yours. I've started hardening these off outside when the daytime weather is > 55F, although think it got too windy on a few days and will be too cold next week so that transition is set back; no idea how much growth to expect under full-sun conditions.

I look forward to seeing how yours progress, will try to make more mistakes in advance so you don't have to :)
Oh my goodness!! Thank you so very much for taking the time to write all of this for me and break it down in such a way that is easy to understand. This is more helpful than you know and your seedlings look great! I’m sure the ones that do have a bit of yellowing on the leaves will turn around just like the other one has!

You must be doing tons of reading to manage so many seedlings as a beginner! Good for you ?

I’m very much like you in the fact that I caught the bonsai bug and haven’t looked back. It’s all so fun, rewarding and exciting! Thanks so much again for all of your help. You provided a lot of thorough information that will definitely assist me in caring for my Delonix Regia seedling! ☺️

Will keep you posted on my progress through updates and pic attachments. Rooting for you and your new bonsai beginnings!! ? ? ?

Morax

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yeah! What bonsai queen said! When I saw ~50 at this age, ~50 at this age i am thinking adopt me! Man oh man...

Top Bottom