When taking a large bougie yamadori that has foliage, should some be removed?

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
All of my bougie yamadoris have been collected with zero foliage, having been hard-chopped to stumps. There was a bougie I'd been eyeing, its owners kept cutting it back and most recent was ~2-3wks ago, so the primary branches on it had a bunch of decent shoots.

I collected it yesterday and, as usual with bougie yamadoris, found myself in the situation of planting a tree w/o many fine roots. While I'm not really concerned with whether or not the specimen will survive the transplant, I'm curious about all those shoots, worried they'll transpire more than the roots can replenish right now and start die-back - could/should I avert this by doing some defoliation?

I can't help but think of propagating a plant by cutting fresh shoots, and how you remove most of the leaves on the shoot to reduce transpiration while it takes root... I don't want to lost the growing tips on this guy but afraid die-back may cause that and want to be ahead of it by defoliating, if I'm anticipating this correctly! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

19700506_070154.jpg

Notes/specs: I'm on the gulf coast of FL zone 9a/9b, tree is in 85% sun, in a media of 45/40/15 DE/perlite/pumice. Bougies are the specimen I focus on most but have never gotten one that was such a thick yamadori that still had foliage on it!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bougies are so tough, I wouldn't worry about it, particularly in Florida where you have a lot of humidity. Just don't put it in full sun until you see it starting to show new growth. If you are really worried, I would make a temporary humidity tent out of clear plastic (i.e. large clear plastic bag) and put it over the tree. Try not to have the plastic resting on or touching the foliage.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Bougies are so tough, I wouldn't worry about it, particularly in Florida where you have a lot of humidity. Just don't put it in full sun until you see it starting to show new growth. If you are really worried, I would make a temporary humidity tent out of clear plastic (i.e. large clear plastic bag) and put it over the tree. Try not to have the plastic resting on or touching the foliage.

yknow I 'specialize' in bougies but feel greener than ever reading your post....I knew those things yet didn't think of them here myself, so obvious! My other large bougies are in stationary boxes (just too-large to move) but this one can be moved, and I put it in full-sun because, well, that's what I do with hard-chopped bougie yamadoris, that helps them back-bud and get going, didn't occur to me that since this thing's already got fresh shoots that it'd be smarter to put it in the shade, at least partial shade, til it stabilizes!!

And will also think about how to setup a makeshift tent for it, for the time being I've got two plywood 'walls' blocking wind (leaned against chairs on the two most exposed sides) and was just planning to mist a few times daily with the spray bottle, will do something more substantial for tenting/wind reduction!

Thanks for the reply :)

Top Bottom