When to air layer?

Will.power49

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
While it's still winter here in Ohio. Im making plans to get a few new things done this coming year.

Air layering - when should i start and when is to late into the year? I have the general jist of the process just nit sure when is to early to a start. Planned to try out several different species of tree.

Thank you all for the provided information

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Normally people start a few weeks after leaf out.
Species dependent the process an take several months, better start early and get them into pots before the summer is dropping into fall.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm planning my own first attempts at air layering this year, too. In my research I have come across some accounts (mostly videos online) of people who started an air layer of a very large branch (think your wrist or better) and leaving it for years, through all seasons, until they felt there was enough root growth. I imagine these all depended on relatively mild climates, though. Your profile says central Ohio- I spent a good chunk of my childhood near the Dayton area- and those winters may be a bit much for that, especially the ice storms.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wait until the new leaves have filled out and hardened, so about June in the N hemisphere. That way the tree will have replaced most of the energy used to get started in the spring and be in a better position to produce the new roots. It also will be producing lots of auxin in the canopy which is necessary for new root production. If the air layer works you can plan on removing it any time up to about 6 weeks before your first freeze giving the new roots time to get established and ready for winter. Some trees like maples can root in 4 weeks but some species take 2 seasons to produce roots so don’t get anxious and separate early.

Top Bottom