When to apply root stimulator on collected material?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Soon after I transplant a plant in my garden, I usually feed it with Fertilome Root Stimulator. I have had real good luck with that practice. I haven't done that to any of my collected trees. Should I and when? I am thinking that soon after a collected tree pushes top growth I can do the root stimulator. For examples, a lot of my BCs now have shoots that are more than 6" long. I am thinking now is the time to give them some root stimulator and get the roots to form quickly since the trees had nearly all their roots cut off.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am one who supports the use of root stimulators but I respectfully accept the fact that a lot of people do not. We all have different paths.
However, the use of a stimulator on something like a BC with 6 inch long shoots seems very much like a waste, something like using a rooting compound on a willow cutting.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am one who supports the use of root stimulators but I respectfully accept the fact that a lot of people do not. We all have different paths.
However, the use of a stimulator on something like a BC with 6 inch long shoots seems very much like a waste, something like using a rooting compound on a willow cutting.
Great! That means I don't need to use it on BCs. How about other trees such as sweet gum or hawthorn?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The flip side of using root stimulator on roots is that the hormones used in rooting stimulators (as I understand it) is they act as a switch of sorts. The compounds are typically used on top growth tissues (cuttings, air layers, etc) to stimulate root tissue growth. Since twigs and branches are not roots, the hormone tells the tissues in them to become rooting tissues.

Since roots are ALREADY roots, applying chemicals that tell them to become roots is redundant. They're already root tissue.

Applying rooting compounds to roots can actually slow the re-rooting process down.

Assuming the stuff you're applying works to produce roots could be the plants just rooting on their own.
Take it from Martha:

Naphthylacetic acid (NAA) looks to have at least some benefit:

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If the stimulant is hormonal: use it asap for best results.
If the stimulant is vitamin based: same.

But stop use after a week or so. They need that boost but constant exposure can weaken hormonal signalling - possibly for the entire lifetime of a plant.

If it's nutrient based, wait for a while until you see decent growth.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Is rooting stimulator the same as rooting hormone?? I always understood RH to be pointless on existing roots (or even negative as rockm said). If there is something that boosted root production on collected trees I'd be all over it

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Is rooting stimulator the same as rooting hormone?? I always understood RH to be pointless on existing roots (or even negative as rockm said). If there is something that boosted root production on collected trees I'd be all over it
Here is description for the Fertilome Root Stimulator I use in my gardening. I usually use it once every time I transplant something in the garden.
"Fertilome Root Stimulator uses the hormone Indole-3-butyric Acid and an NPK of 4-10-3 to quickly maximize root growth and provide nutrition to get your plants off to a strong start. Use this product every time you plant or transplant to stimulate early and strong root formation and promote greener, stronger plants."

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Seems to be the same active ingredient as rooting hormone but in a MUCH weaker concentration, which as we know can have a big difference as to how a plant responds. Interesting.

Top Bottom